How do I set up qlikview server to work behind a hardware load balancer?
In this case, I'm using an F5 Big IP load balancer. I can hit my qlikserver ok using the server name, but when I direct traffic there via a domain and route port 80 traffic to the server I get connection errors. Any helpful hints or papers?
We were able to set up the F5 reasonably well, but there are some issues. Our first issue was around load balancing (using iRules) to route qlik traffic to a specific pool. We were trying to match a URL to www.domain.com/qvajaxzfc but the F5 could not seem to make a match on that folder. We eventually determined that the F5 did not like any folder name beginning with qv. So we changed all our qvajaxzfc folders and calls to those folders to use a folder named qajax. This somehow worked.
On the qlik side, we've had some issues with sticking to a specific server. We can route to either node and it's ok, however, if a user bounces from one IIS box to another (we stood up two IIS boxes to go with two QVS boxes that are separate) the web ticket isn't found. So it seems the key is to use sticky sessions to make sure a user doesn't jump from server to server. This has proven tricky because we're using cookie persistence, and the F5 doesn't seem to honor the default cookie persistence profile when routing via iRules. If you can figure out how to make sure you set your persistence properly and keep a session on one IIS server, it works.
In short, we stood up 2 IIS servers and added them to an F5 pool within a given VIP. We changed the folders to qajax and then created an iRule to route requests to our domain at /qajax to this pool. We are still working on the persistence profiles.