Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Black_Hole
Creator II
Creator II

Load and Reload data from Excel to Qlikview

Hello all,

Firstly, I will describe the context.

I would like to load data from Excel in a QV table. 

Moreover, I would like to reload/update data in my QV table if there are modifications in the data from Excel (maybe with a button, I could update data in my QV table).

But, after a lot of research on the web, I still don't know  how I can do that and what is the best way (macro VB, or script, ...) ??

Please could you help with my request.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PrashantSangle

How would you know that data is updated or not in excel???

Use button in qlikview sheet
right click on button > property > action > trigger > external > reload.

Regards,
Prashant
Great dreamer's dreams never fulfilled, they are always transcended.
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

It is possible to trigger a QlikView task externally with an EDX job. So I assume you can have a macro in excel monitor the excekfile for changes and then trigger the edx job reloading your application.

Black_Hole
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hello @Vegar ,

Great, if EDX job can help me to launch a macro which reload data from Excel to QV. 

Honestly, I never used this functionality of QV.

Please could you share with me some advice, links...  to apply an EDX Job in order load/reload data with a macro.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Vegar
MVP
MVP

You can use the braathen/qv-edx-trigger (
https://github.com/braathen/qv-edx-trigger ) to trigger from the windows
command prompt/bat script. The readme-file in that project describes
pretty well how to get started.

The bat script you create should be able to run in excel using a macro VBA
script.

BR
Vegar
PrashantSangle

How would you know that data is updated or not in excel???

Use button in qlikview sheet
right click on button > property > action > trigger > external > reload.

Regards,
Prashant
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
Vegar
MVP
MVP

@PrashantSangle as I understand it @Black_Hole wants Excel it self to trigger an reload when the excel is updated hence QlikView can not know when an update i done. 

An alternative solution would be to frequently trigger a job in QMC that reads the excelfile change date. When the file date is changed then perform an new load of the file.

Black_Hole
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hello all,

Thank you both of you for your help.

@PrashantSangle :  Great, I tried your solution and it's exactly what I research. It's an easy and quick way to do what I want (and particularly because I'm a novice in QV). 

@Vegar :  Thanks a lot for sharing the link. I will learn how I can do to trigger a job in QMC. 

PrashantSangle

welcome. 🙂