cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Continuous X-Axis Descending?

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a line chart with a continuous X-axis, where the X-axis values are sorted in descending order rather than ascending?? Can't seem to get this to work.

Thanks,

Vlad

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II
Author

Never mind, I was able to figure it out. For those interested, the trick is to make your X-axis value negative numbers. Then hide the original X-axis value on the Dimensions tab, and create an expression where you wrap the X-axis value is a fabs() function and select "Text on Axis" to display it in place of the original X-axis value. In my case, I found there were too many value displayed, so I added some additional logic to display only a few key values in order to not lose scale.

Edit: I finally got around to documenting specifically how this was done. For those interested, you can read the article here: http://www.infinityinsight.com/blog/?p=246

Cheers,

Vlad

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Vlad,

Have you tried sort>numeric value>descending?

Best,

Matt

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II
Author

Yes, of course, it does something quite unexpected. Give it a try.

Thanks,

Vlad

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II
Author

Never mind, I was able to figure it out. For those interested, the trick is to make your X-axis value negative numbers. Then hide the original X-axis value on the Dimensions tab, and create an expression where you wrap the X-axis value is a fabs() function and select "Text on Axis" to display it in place of the original X-axis value. In my case, I found there were too many value displayed, so I added some additional logic to display only a few key values in order to not lose scale.

Edit: I finally got around to documenting specifically how this was done. For those interested, you can read the article here: http://www.infinityinsight.com/blog/?p=246

Cheers,

Vlad