Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

"Reverse engineering" a very dynamic pivot_table

Hi,

I'm just working on understanding and commenting the functioning of a terribly complicated pivot_table, designed to show up to 6 KPIs (there are only 3 to select from currently, but there are 6 possible as far as I can see through it yet) along up to 5 dimensions.

That is not that bad - it's not so complicated as it first looked. Things can get a bit confusing when the user really selects five dimensions, but I guess they can drag them around to correct the order in which they appear.

what I don't understand: There is a subtotal - but it only shows up when I press a button and a variable is set to 1. I don't know any way this can be achieved? There is a checkbox for every expression, those are all deactivated.

Can anybody tell me how this could have been done?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

3 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Enablement of sub-total could be handled using Dimensionality(). One more thing you could check if any macro is running for the action.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

here is another question - it is something different, but it is to do with the same chart, so I put it here:

- The chart can be changed from a pivot_table into a straight table - okay, here the difference is not so great - and into a barchart.

- When I have a barchart, it only makes sense when I have only one dimension selected, okay. There used to be a "diagram title" above the charting_area - just underneath the caption, that's the one I mean. That apparently could not be made into a text, it isn't necessary, so I deactivated it. Now that looks fine and so far I haven't spotted any difference when I have a straight or pivot table active. I am not sure, though, there might be something?

Apparently, that checkbox is not even available for straight and pivot charts. So there should not be anything missing now ...

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Any possibility that you could share it with sample data may be?