Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

datanibbler
Esteemed Contributor

Load a field that is hidden in Excel - possible?

Hi,

the background to my very simple question is: I have to load a shift_plan in Excel which is made up of several blocks of rows, but I need to load only the rows from a certain block.

Unfortunately, there is nothing specific to the lines in that block - there are names and numbers like anywhere else in the list.

I don't want to go by the size of the header, so I want to ask the colleague in charge of that list to implement a flagfield in a column that is empty as yet so I can filter to load only the cells where this flagfield has a certain value.

=> in order not to change the look of this list (it is used in a big management_meeting in the morning), I would like to set that flagfield
     in a hidden field.

=> Is that possible in QlikView?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

2 Replies
MVP & Luminary
MVP & Luminary

Re: Load a field that is hidden in Excel - possible?

Hi DataNibbler,

I'm not absolutely sure but I think it will be possible then it's only visibilty-properties. I have also xls-files which have uncertain data-positions and fieldnames. To solve this I read in an additionally (hidden) sheet the positions per xls-inbuild index() and address() functions but you need definitely some logic to find these data - maybe this could be an alternatively.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Load a field that is hidden in Excel - possible?

Hi Marcus,

yes, it is possible (I have tested it) if the field is only made invisible.

Up to now, I have not encountered Excel_files with uncertain data_positions - well, it has always been sufficient as yet to have some flagfield highlighting the block of cells to be loaded for a certain purpose. I can usually convince the people populating Excel_lists to implement such a field as it's not much of an effort and it doesn't really disturb the look_and_feel - even less so when the field can be hidden.

Still, what you do there does sound quite awesome and I could be in need of something like that at some point. It has been a while since I've worked with Excel.

Best regards,

DataNibbler