Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aruneshgupta
Contributor III
Contributor III

SSL certificate - not able to generate PFX using crt

Hi All,  I need help for below issue. 

I generated the CSR file, handed it over to entrust, and then got back 3 files root.crt, intermediate.crt and servercertificate.crt from them. Now I have installed ServerCertificate.crt in the same machine where I have generated the CSR. It got installed.

I need to use the same certificate in my other Qlik environments (mentioned those DN while generating csr) but I am unable to export this file as pfx. Export with key is greyed out and cant export as pfx.

Please suggest.

I have not generated any key while creation of csr.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Arunesh kumar 

Labels (3)
6 Replies
Bjorn_Wedbratt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi @aruneshgupta 

That is correct, neither the CSR nor any of the CRT files received from the certificate authority will include the private key, hence the imported certificate does not contain the key and cannot be exported.

What you need to do is locate the private key used to sign the CSR. If done in Windows try the following.

To find the private key from a CSR on a Windows host, you need to use the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) tool. Here are the steps to do that:

From your server, go to Start > Run and enter mmc in the text box. Click on the OK button.

From the MMC menu bar, select Console > Add/Remove Snap-in.

Click on the Add button.

Select Certificates from the list of snap-ins and then click on the Add button.

Select the Computer account option.

Click on the Next button.

Select the Local computer (the computer this console is running on) option.

Click on the Finish button.

Click on the Close button on the snap-in list window.

Click on Certificates from the left pane.

Look for a folder called REQUEST or "Certificate Enrollment Request> Certificates Select the private key that you wish to backup.

Once you obtained the private key you need to combine it together with the CRT files into a .pfx file which will now hold both the key and the certificate (and chain).

Hope the above helps.

Best,

Bjorn

aruneshgupta
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Bjorn,

Thank you for your help and reply!

I have checked 'Certificate Enrollment Request '  and could not see anything available here. I am using same server where I have generated my CSR. 

Could you please suggest me how should I get private key here ? Do I need to import something in the server. 

I have followed same process which you have suggested above. 

I really appreciate if you could reply soon as my existing certificate is going to expire tomorrow. 

Thanks,

Arunesh Kumar 

Bjorn_Wedbratt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Unsure how you generated the CSR, if using IIS,OpenSSL or other tool, but check this link from digicert which may lead you in the right direction

https://www.digicert.com/blog/where-is-your-private-key

Best

Björn 

aruneshgupta
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Björn!

Yes, it looks something I did mistake during CSR creation.. but I installed the CRT file in same server where I have created CSR and it works in the same machine.  Even I can see private key is included in the properties of certificate. 

I tried to generate another CSR and trying to use the private key with that CTR,  but it is not working. 

Thank you for your help. I won't think any other way to get private key for existing CSR.. 

Best Regards,

Arunesh Kumar 

Bjorn_Wedbratt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi @aruneshgupta 

Sounds like you might have missed the following as discussed here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/446749/export-certificate-wth-private-key

If so, I don't know of any other way than requesting a new certificate with the option to export the private key enabled.

Hope you will sort it out.

Best

Björn 

aruneshgupta
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Generated a new CSR with enabling export of private key.