Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

How to customize the text of a generic Qlik Sense error message

100% helpful (2/2)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

How to customize the text of a generic Qlik Sense error message

Last Update:

Nov 8, 2023 8:42:09 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

May 22, 2019 10:09:01 AM

The information in this article is provided as is. Adjustments to error messages cannot be supported by Qlik Support and can lead to difficulties identifying underlying root causes of technical issues experienced later. All changes will be reverted after an upgrade.
The method documented in this article is intended for later versions of Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows.

The message texts are defined in JavaScript files located by default in path C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Client\translate\. There are subfolders for each supported language, e.g. en-US for English. 

To modify the message text edit e.g. the file hub.js in the folder corresponding to the language you want to change the text for.

To change e.g. the default message text for access denied messages you need to find the following line:

"ProxyError.OnLicenseAccessDenied": "You cannot access Qlik Sense because you have no access pass.",

To change the text of the message you need to modify the second part of the text which is in brackets (see example below):

"ProxyError.OnLicenseAccessDenied": "This is a modified message text for access denied events", 

To modify the error message:

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Client\translate\
  2. Open the folder corresponding to the language you wish to change,  e.g. en-US for English.
  3. Open either the hub.js file or the qmc.js file. Older version of Qlik Sense relied on a single client.json file. 
  4. Search for the standard error message
  5. Modify the message text accordingly. If the message you wish to modify cannot be located, then the message cannot be customized.
  6. Save the file
  7. Restart the Qlik Sense Proxy service
    Users will not be able to see the new message until their browser cache has been cleared.
Labels (1)
Comments
nav33nb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
Message change steps are working for Qlik Sense November 2021 version, but no longer working in November 2022 version

We have multiple env for QlikSense, in one of the env I've performed these steps, restarted proxy service and it successfully shows new message
In another env, with different version of QlikSense same steps are not working

1. changed message at above mentioned path
2. Restart proxy service

I see that article was published quite some time ago, Are these steps not backward compatible or have since changed. Please share updated steps to achieve the desired result if possible

One additional thing, There are no json files(client.json) present for November 2022 version at the mentioned path, only JS files (hub.js)

eyalnir_qlik
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi @Sonja_Bauernfeind 

can you advise how to achieve it in version 2022 and above?

thanks

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

@eyalnir_qlik Not at present.

We are reviewing this article at the moment.

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

@eyalnir_qlik @nav33nb 

The article has been updated.

eyalnir_qlik
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Thanks @Sonja_Bauernfeind  for the update, 

Unfortunately, we still have issue with customize error "You cannot access Qlik Sense because you have no access pass " 

i've open support case for further investigation

Regards,   

peterwh
Creator II
Creator II

Hello @Sonja_Bauernfeind,

I've tried to change the message "Your account is inactive. Contact your administrator to activate it.", if a user is inactive in QMC and tries to open the hub. But I can't find this entry in the .js-files. Is this message hard coded?

Kind regards

Peter H.

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @peterwh 

If the message you wish to modify cannot be located, then the message cannot be customized. I would invite you to log an idea to voice your interest in having more customization options.

All the best,
Sonja 

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2023-11-08 08:42 AM
Updated by: