7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2014 11:01 AM by Simen Kind Gulbrandsen RSS

Filter the rows

Hi,

I am new to QlikView, which I use to create a dashboard for managing budgets for projects. I have a dimension named "Project_Name", containing names of all projects (including historical ones), and another dimension named "Project_Current_Flag", indicating if the project is ongoing (by "Y" and "N").

I created a straight table to show all details associated with each project, but I only want to display the ones that are ongoing (i.e. has a flag of Y). I tried the conditional display but the entire column just vanished. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Tuan

• Re: Filter the rows
          Simen Kind Gulbrandsen

You need to use Set analysis.

In the straight table expression use the following syntax:

sum({$<Project_Current_Flag={'Y'}>}Amount)

Regards
          SKG

Simen Kind Gulbrandsen

Depending on the amount of data you have and the number of expressions, there are other solutions.

One elegant solution could be to Define a new dimension in your script:

if(Ongoing, Project_Name,null()) as Ongoing_Project_Name

And use this in your chart with the box Suppress When value is null() in the dimension tab.

screenshot.PNG.png

Hi Simen,

Thank you for the reply. My apologies for not making my requirements clear. Attached is the screenshot of my straight table. I would like to filter the rows such that only the projects that have a Y flag are displayed

Charlotte Gilbert

Maybe try to just edit your dimension, so that it is a calculated dimension.

So instead of Project_Name as the dimension, instead have:

=if(Project_Current_Flag = 'Y', Project_Name)

Simen Kind Gulbrandsen

You can use the logic as mentioned above.

As Charlotte says, you can give the user the choice using a List box.

If you want to lock the choice so that we always filter the Y Flag, the standard way to do it is by Set Analysis.

You should read up on it as it is a very valuable tool.

For the Spent-expression assuming it looks like Sum(Spent) today, the new expression would be Sum({$<Project_Current_Flag={'Y'}>}Spent)

This has to be done for every expression.

I do not recommend using a calculated dimension, as it reduces the performance on big data sets.

Alessandro Saccone

Conditional display for the expression control the visibility of the field so, if it contain Y and N values the condition is not fullfilled and the field disappear.

To obtain what you want use a multiboc or a list box.

If it works, it means that data and object  are correct so if you want to write the condition in the dimension do:

If(Project_Current_Flag='Y', Project_Current_Flag, Null()) and check the box "Suppress null values"

The only thing: is there at least an expression? If not add one

Charlotte Gilbert

Another way would be to add a separate list box, with the field as 'Project_Current_Flag' , then the users can choose between showing ongoing projects or ones that have finished.