Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sybase Connection String

Can anyone advise on the best approach for specifying a Sybase connection string.

When using Oracle OLEDB drivers I use a connectoin string like

SET ConnectString='[Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=(TNS_NAMES_ENTRY)] (XUserId is X, XPassword is Y)';

OLEDB CONNECT TO $(ConnectString);

Where TNS_NAMES_ENTRY is the filkl specification for Oracle as it might appear in a tnsnames.ora file.

This does not require any other settings on the server, no tnsnames.ora file no entries in the Windows ODBC administrator.

I want to do something similar for Sybase Adaptive Server 15.7 using ODBC. Again I would prefer to not have a sybase sql.ini file that needs maintaining and do not want to set up a DSN in Windows ODBC Administrator.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I found a variety of options at this site

Sybase ASE OLE DB Provider Connection Strings - ConnectionStrings.com

This is the option that worked for me:

Provider=Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider;Srvr=myASEserver,5000;Catalog=myDataBase;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;

But it did involve choosing OLEDB rather than ODBC.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

We use the Sybase OLEDB provider to connect

OLEDB CONNECT32 TO [Provider=Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider.2;Initial Catalog=tempdb;User ID=<userid>;Data Source=<servername>;Extended Properties=""] (XPassword is VXYIDbJOJTaIWQdMRJOYN);

With ODBC you are required to set up a datasource. With Sybase OLEDB you still need a .ids config file with the serverdetails (made with the Sybase ASE OLEDB Configuration Manager). 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I found a variety of options at this site

Sybase ASE OLE DB Provider Connection Strings - ConnectionStrings.com

This is the option that worked for me:

Provider=Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider;Srvr=myASEserver,5000;Catalog=myDataBase;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;

But it did involve choosing OLEDB rather than ODBC.