9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2015 11:06 AM by divya alav RSS

How to calculate covariance between two variables in qlikview? Possible???

Janani Kumar

I'm working on statistical calculation of risk measures. I have the following Statictics meausre,

1. Standard deviation

2. Jensen's Alpha

3. Beta = Covariance(Stock return, Market return)/Variance(Market return)

4. Correlation

5. Sharpe Ratio

6. RSquared

I have found out that, in qlikview you have following Statistical function:

Standard dev = Stdev

Correlation = Correl(x,y)

Rsquared = linest_r2(y,x)

Now, How to calculate Beta and Sharpe Ratio in Qlikview????????? Please help!!!

Beta = Covariance(X,Y)/Variance(X)

Sharpe Ratio = Portfolio return - Rish free rate/ Standard Dev of portfolio returns

• Re: How to calculate covariance between two variables in qlikview? Possible???
          Anand Chouhan

Beta and Sharpe Ratio are formulas if so same you can create the variables for that.

• Re: How to calculate covariance between two variables in qlikview? Possible???
            Clever Anjos

QlikView has a lot of statistical functions, please check your manual

Statistical Aggregation Functions in Script

correl(x-expression, y-expression)

Returns the aggregated correlation coefficient for a series of coordinates represented by paired numbers in xexpression

and y-expression iterated over a number of records as defined by a group by clause. Text values,

null values and missing values in any or both pieces of a data-pair will result in the entire data-pair to be disregarded.

Example:

Load Month, correl(X,Y) as CC from abc.csv group by Month;

stdev([distinct] expression)

Returns the standard deviation of expression over a number of records as defined by a group by clause. If the

word distinct occurs before the expression, all duplicates will be disregarded.

304 QlikView 11.20 SR8

25 Script Expressions

Example:

Load Month, stdev(Sales) as SalesStandardDeviation from abc.csv group

by Month;

linest_m (y-expression, x-expression [, y0 [, x0 ]])

returns the aggregated m value (slope) of a linear regression defined by the equation y=mx+b for a series of

coordinates represented by paired numbers in x-expression and y-expression iterated over a number of records

as defined by a group by clause. Text values, null values and missing values in any or both pieces of a datapair

will result in the entire data-pair to be disregarded.

An optional value y0 may be stated forcing the regression line to pass through the y-axis at a given point.

By stating both y0 and x0 it is possible to force the regression line to pass through a single fixed coordinate.

Unless both y0 and x0 are stated, the function requires at least two valid data-pairs to calculate. If y0 and x0

are stated, a single data pair will do.

Example:

Load Key, linest_m(Y,X) as Z from abc.csv group by Key;

linest_b (y-expression, x-expression [, y0 [, x0 ]])

returns the aggregated b value (y-intercept) of a linear regression defined by the equation y=mx+b for a series

of coordinates represented by paired numbers in x-expression and y-expression iterated over a number of records

as defined by a group by clause. Text values, null values and missing values in any or both pieces of a

data-pair will result in the entire data-pair to be disregarded.

An optional valye y0 may be stated forcing the regression line to pass through the y-axis at a given point.

By stating both y0 and x0 it is possible to force the regression line to pass through a single fixed coordinate.

Unless both y0 and x0 are stated, the function requires at least two valid data-pairs to calculate. If y0 and x0

Example:

Load Key, linest_b(Y,X) as Z from abc.csv group by Key;

linest_r2 (y-expression, x-expression [, y0 [, x0 ]])

returns the aggregated r2 value (coefficient of determination) of a linear regression defined by the equation

y=mx+b for a series of coordinates represented by paired numbers in x-expression and y-expression iterated

over a number of records as defined by a group by clause. Text values, null values and missing values in

any or both pieces of a data-pair will result in the entire data-pair to be disregarded.

An optional valye y0 may be stated forcing the regression line to pass through the y-axis at a given point.

Example:

Load Key, linest_r2(Y,X) as Z from abc.csv group by Key;

linest_sem (y-expression, x-expression [, y0 [, x0 ]])

returns the aggregated standard error of the m value of a linear regression defined by the equation y=mx+b

for a series of coordinates represented by paired numbers in x-expression and y-expression iterated over a

number of records as defined by a group by clause. Text values, null values and missing values in any or

both pieces of a data-pair will result in the entire data-pair to be disregarded.

Example:

Load Key, linest_sem(Y,X) as Z from abc.csv group by Key;

linest_seb (y-expression, x-expression [, y0 [, x0 ]])

Hi,

I have a bar chart , and this is my expression in the chart

Expression : COUNT(if([SLA_DAYS_PAST]<=0,[PPL_ID]))/COUNT(if([SLA_FLAG]=-1,[PPL_ID]))  (sl_flag_past<=0 indicates compaints that are taken care of on or before due dates) and (sla_flag=-1 indicates all the closed complaints)

Calculated Dimension : if(CLOSE_DATE>=vMinDate, MonthName(CLOSE_DATE))

Now, first of all I need to build an SPC CHART, so I have calculated the average value using this expression:

Average: COUNT(TOTAL <PPL_ID> if([SLA_DAYS_PAST]<=0,[PLL_ID]))/COUNT(TOTAL<PPL_ID> if([SLA_FLAG]=-1,[PPL_ID]))

Now to calculate upper and lower control limits, i need to get the standard deviation:

uppercontrol_limit : average+STDEV

lower control_limit=average=STDEV

So, I need a formula to find the STDEV. I have a dead line, and i really appreciate your time.

-Sarayu