Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView formula error

Hi Guys,

Am facing formula error in QlikView if you see the image below I would give an idea

basically when its come to maths sum(A) - sum(B+C)  and sum(A) - sum(B) - sum(C) are output same value but

in QlikView I get two deference figures. can any one explain me why is this? for your reference I have attached an excel file

Thanks in advance!

error.jpg

Message was edited by: Mafaz Jaufer Please find the QVD attachment...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Please find attached file for solution.

Regards,

Jagan.

View solution in original post

29 Replies
JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

sum(A+B)  may result in joining records across tables that can result in indivudal values of A in a table being linked with multiple values of B in another table and  magnifying the sum, whereas sum(A) + sum(B) will just add up the rows in each table and sum the totals.

There can be other things like NULLs which would zero out some of the joined records in a sum(A+B) situation where  A or B were null .

More understanding of where these 3 fields sit in your data model would help

i suggest creating a table box with the 3 values to show the combinations of records involved and compare with a straight table with all 3 as sum(expressions)

tresesco
MVP
MVP

PFA, it's working fine with your sample data.  Issue might be specific to your application(possibly nulls could be the culprit). Try to share your sample qvw that demonstrates the issue.

sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

Poole, is saying the right fact well if all is fine then the expressions should give same output.

Try making a sample and provide us.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

The difference is most likely caused by nulls in fields B or C, because

B + null() = null() and evaluates to 0 in a sum, regardless of the value of B (so this B is not in the total)

null() + C = null() and evaluates to 0 in a sum, regardless of the value of C (so this C is not in the total)

The correct way do this is to expand the sums, or to use Rangesum to add the values. ie

Sum(RangeSum(A, B))

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Kindly find the attachment above...

can any one let me know how to I avoid null figures?

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Is both the columns are in the same table?  Is any null values are there in this columns?  If both the columns are in different tables then you may get different because of joins etc.

Regards,

Jagan.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Check attached qvw. You made a mistake taking a non-numeric field F1 (in 2nd & 3rd exp) in sum.

Update: And yes, field names are case sensitive (there were errors as well)

Not applicable
Author

those three columns are in three different tables but I have join those tables in qlikview

note all three columns contain null values

Not applicable
Author

Okay that's makes seance.. what I have to do if there are null values?