funny story I took the column that explains what the numbers mean for each field and just it remove duplicates to drop it to 39 possible mapping tables for me to make. The Mapping Load/ApplyMap approach may be more suitable if I'm just make 39 Mapping Load tables and applying those to the 75 fields - so I could apply a single mapping table to the five fields it is appropriate for. The inline approach would need me to have 75 inline tables where the first field is the same as the corresponding field in the source data. So.. mapping load is less script writing for me, but still might be more demanding on the server with the 75 applymap() functions.... Advise still welcome.
Thanks, so applymap is winning in terms of less stuff for me to write and going easier on the cpu and cleaner data model.
Last funny story, The translation information I was given was written in such an non-uniform way I found myself just going down the list of fields in script and transcribing the translations into the script as dual if statements. Seemed more efficient to just write the stuff into the load rather than spend time rewriting it enough to be usable in mapping loads. (I had originally given something like a 20 hour loe to cover cleaning up the translation tables, and now might clear it in a couple of hours by just mentally cleaning up translations as I write them into the script...)
Would 75 dual if statements be any worse than 75 applymaps?
The data will be loading from a disc somewhere, be it database, qvd.......
The disc latency will probably be the bottleneck.
Your dual's / applymap's will be done against data which has already been loaded into RAM so will be quick, and will multi-thread as well. Hence will most likely be a lot quicker than the disc latency bottleneck.
Old saying: The convoy goes as fast as the slowest ship.
[May not be the case for a resident load though]
thanks, no resident loads. just loading the file. my dual if statements are written into to the script directly below the field they relate too.
if(GENDER=2, Dual('Female',2)) as psGENDER
(On an older version/SR of Qlikview, I found that fields made with regular if statements, while slightly less typing was needed, didn't function properly in listboxes and that dual if statements solved that. Not sure if that's still the case. Many/most of the actual fields translated have 4-7 values and I like how the dual if statement can be used to control how they are listed and such too.)