13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2010 5:34 PM by Vlad Gutkovsky RSS

input field and qvw.shared files

Hi everybody,

I have a server with a 8.5.

I published a document with an input field inside a table into my report.

If I change via web some fields, in the input field, the values I put down are correctly written into the qvw.shared file but if I refresh the document I lose all the input changes I have made, in other words the input field results to be unuseful

Is there any settings or parameter I forgot ?

thanks in advance for your help

rb

• input field and qvw.shared files
          Vlad Gutkovsky

Are you running SR6? SR6 corrected a very similar input field bug...

Hi everybody,

I have installed QlikView Server 9.0 and all works well about input field and shared file but I have one more question:

Is it possible to share the same table from different users ? If I insert a value into a field and an other user does the same, can I see the value the other user have inserted in the meanwhile ?

In other words:

I see that into the qvw.shared file are stored the values referred to every user.

For example:

user1 field_bdg 10.000

user2 field_bdg 30.000

and so on...

but actually every user can see only the changes he has made, not the values inserted by other users ?

Is there a way to share all the information inserted by every user ?

Thanks in advance for your help

rb

Vlad Gutkovsky

Yes, you can do this by Collaboration Objects. First, you need to make sure that the QVW allows this. Go to Document Settings --> Server tab, and make sure the 3 QlikView Server Collaboration checkboxes on the page are checked. Next, in the AccessPoint, a user would create a new object (say a table with an input field column in your case). In the Collaboration Pane (that can be opened using the toolbar on top), the object would appear under My Items. A user can right-click on the object and select Share With Everyone. This would make the object a Collaboration Object and all users can see and make changes to it.

Regards,

Thanks for your answer Vlad !

I'll try it tomorrow on my server.

I'll give you soon a feedback 'bout it.

thanks Big Smile

rb

Hi Vlad,

Thank you. I tried the solution you suggested:

I put all the settings you wrote down in your email but I still havent reached the point I was looking for.

Maybe I forgot some peculiar settings in the server pane or elsewhere

Now tow users can see the same object but everyone can see only the changes he has made in his own.

User b can see user b data, User a can see user a data

where I was wrong ?

thanks in advance for your help

russianblue

Vlad Gutkovsky

The last step is important--you need to make sure that the user who created the object right-clicks it in Collaboration Pane\My Items, and selects "Share With Everyone."

Assuming you've done that already, can users see changes made to other properties (not input fields)? For example, change the style of the object to use different colors and see if all users can see that change. The reason I'm asking is that it's possible input fields just cannot be shared because of either a bug or an undocumented feature of QlikView...

Regards,

Today I'll check it !

thanks Vlad

rb

Hi Vlad,

> First, you need to make sure that the QVW allows this. Go to Document Settings --> Server tab, and make sure the 3 QlikView Server Collaboration >checkboxes on the page are checked.

Done

>Next, in the AccessPoint, a user would create a new object (say a table with an input field column in your case). In the Collaboration Pane (that can be >opened using the toolbar on top), the object would appear under My Items.

Done

>A user can right-click on the object and select Share With Everyone. This would make the object a Collaboration Object and all users can see and >make changes to it.

Normal 0 14 false false false IT X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Done

> The last step is important --you need to make sure the user who created the object right-clicks it in Collaboration Pane\My Items, and selects "Share With Everyone."

Done

>Assuming you've done that already, can users see changes made to other properties (not input fields)? For example, change the style of >the object to use different colors and see if all users can see that change. The reason I'm asking is that it's possible input fields just >cannot be shared because of either a bug or an undocumented feature of QlikView...

I tried to modify as you suggested some of the properties of the table (style and so on), but it's still not possible to see the changes the other users have made. Maybe there's something in the server settings that I've missed ? Thanks a lot.

rb

Johan Hessler

Input field values cannot be shared between members because they are user specific. As written earlier the input field values is stored within the qvw.shared file (which is a qv unreadable format).

The only way to share the inputfield values is to use vbscript to store them into a csv file, and when reloading, load the csv file into the application. You also need to run a macro onOpen, which restores the inputfield values.

I've worked quite a bit with the inputfield and i must say that the function need alot of tweeking before i can say im satisfied with its behavior.

Thank you Blaise,

the solution you suggested should be good for me !

Have you got an example in .qvw to share within the forum ?

This will be really appreciated

Thanks in advance

russianblue

Johan Hessler

Nope, but i can shortly describe my solution.

I load the csv files with the stored inputfield values together with an unique key and concatenate the csv file with the field from the db I've declared as an inpufield (where not exists MyUniqueKey). This way, I have a Qv Table with the uniques keys and all the already stored inputfieldvalues together with the uniques keys not already have a stored inputfield value. At last, i declare the field as a inputfield.

In the gui i have a tablebox with the inputfield value and relevant other fields. On top of this tablebox i have a blank textbox (so the user can't use the built in inputfield function to write).

I have an button-triggered macro that only runs if the user has made a few selections (like narrow down the possible entries to one) and then starts up a few vbscript inputboxes where the user writes the values he want to append to the inputfield. By using inputboxes instead of the builtin inputfield function Im in better control of what the user is allowed to type and also have the possibility to add additional info like timestamp and OSUser.

Every time a user opens up the application, a macro runs that checks if a variable set in the load is the same as another single-value inputfield, it variable = inputfield = true, do nothing. If variable != inputfield I restore the inputfields and then put the same info as in the variable to the inputfield. This can sound a bit overkill, but i want the user to always see his own newly inserted inputfields and other users inputfields inserted before the last reload.

By using a variable and a single-value inputfield i take advantage of the principle that a inputfieldvalue survives an reload, a variable doesn't. So a variable is common for all users and inputfield isn't.

When the document reloads, i simply add +1 to the variable, and the next time a user logs on the variable will not be the same as the inputfield and the inputfields are restored (and showing the same as the csv file).

Vlad Gutkovsky

I haven't tested Blaise's procedure, but I have confirmed that input fields cannot be shared in collaboration objects and will just get reset to default each time. I think this is an undocumented feature rather than a bug, so I doubt this functionality will get added in future releases.

The fact that you can't see shared style changes is strange--I've tested it and it works. Keep in mind that only the object owner (i.e. the user that created the object) can make changes that other users will see.

Regards,

Hi Vlad,

do you agree with Blaise or do you think there are other solutions ?

thanks

rb