15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2017 9:17 AM by Sada Siva RSS

monthly average inventory?

Sada Siva

Hi, can some one help me to calculate monthly average inventory?

• Re: monthly average inventory?
          Andrey Khoronenko

Hi,

Well, if you can provide a fragment of the source data and what you want to get as a result, someone will probably help.

Sada Siva

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for the respose.

Lets consider i am having closing stock at day level and am considering yesterdays closing stock as todays opening stock.

my average inventory fromula =Average of Opening Inventory and the monthly closing inventory for the time period selected

can some one help me with the expression that calculate avg inventory for the period we select.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sadasiva

Anil Babu Samineni

When you use

Avg(Inventory) will works even if you select some thing from Filter

OR

Avg({$<Period = >} Inventory)

Sada Siva

Thanks for the response Anil.

but my reqirement is different.

For Example: Date Range: 1 Jan - 31st March 2017

Avg Inventory = (Average of (Opening Stock on Jan 1 , Closing Stock on Jan 31 , Closing Stock on Feb 28 , Closing Stock on Mar 31))

this i need to replicate in an expression.

Regards,

Sadasiva

David Forest

Could use Aggr(), you would have to create a "Stock Days" calendar with the desired dates,

then expr would be something like:

Avg(Aggr(Avg([stock amt]),[Stock Day]))

Sada Siva

Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

I am having my inventory stock value from Aug 2005. I will consider my opening stock for 2017 jan 1st as Total inventory stock value till dec 31st 2016. on  jan 31st  2017 my closing stock value is from Aug 2005 to Jan31st 2017.

Based on this i need to write the expression. Please help me on this.

Thanks,

Sadasiva

David Forest

Not quite sure what you are asking.

If you can provide numbers and expected values that is helpful.

Sada Siva

Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

I am having my inventory stock value from Aug 2005. I will consider my opening stock for 2017 jan 1st as Total inventory stock value till dec 31st 2016. on  jan 31st  2017 my closing stock value is from Aug 2005 to Jan31st 2017.

To keep it simple i am using the same case.

Let's say my closing stock value till 31st Dec 2016 is 1M, and this will be my Opening stock for 1st Jan 2017.

and let's say my closing stock for 31st jan2017 is 2M, Closing stock for 28th Feb 2017 is 1M and Closing stock for 31st march 2017 is 4M.

In this case my Formula is

Avg Inventory = (Average of (Opening Stock on Jan 1 , Closing Stock on Jan 31 , Closing Stock on Feb 28 , Closing Stock on Mar 31))

or Sum((Opening Stock on Jan 1 , Closing Stock on Jan 31 , Closing Stock on Feb 28 , Closing Stock on Mar 31))/(number of months+1)

Then my out put will be (1+2+1+4)/4=2M

Hope this helps to understand my problem.

Regards,

Sadasiva

David Forest

what you need to do exactly depends on the raw data ... ideas below, note typed here but not tested

if the inventory stock amount is recorded on the last of each month as the sum or if you need to calculate the sum for the month.

the first has less steps, and you can use the Aggr

Avg(Aggr(Avg([stock amt]),[Stock Date]))

assuming values are in [stock amt] and [stock date] fields.. if there are daily counts

Avg(Aggr(Avg({$<[Stock Date]={$(MonthEnd([Stock Date])}>}[stock amt]),[Stock Date]))

If the second, you will need to create a calendar that has a Month dimension and listing every day, search in forums for how to create a calendar.

The date field in your calendar should have the same name as the date field for your stock amt, then

Avg(Aggr(Avg([stock amt]),[Month]))

Sada Siva

Hi David,

Thanks for your valuable time and response.

My case bit tricky here. I am using below expression to get my closing stock at any given point of time.

Lets say i am seeing my closing stock today i.e 22nd June 2017

sum({<[_KEY_DATE]= {"<=$(vMaxYearDate)"}>} [Cost Amount])

This expression will give me the inventory till this date.

2nd i am using

sum({<[_KEY_DATE]= {"<=$(vMinYearDate)"}>} [Cost Amount]) to get Opening stock.

with these two i am using (opening stock+closing stock)/2 to calculate average inventory, which is not giving accurate numbers.

here if i select a month, it will calculate opening stock and closing stock and giving the correct number.

if i select YTD it will take (opening balance on jan1st + closing stock on today)/2 which is not correct. i need to calculate it for every month like sum(opening stock on jan1st,closing stock on 31st jan,closing stock on 28th Feb...)/(num of months+1)

hope you understand my problem.

Regards,

Sadasiva

David Forest

This can be done by add 1 in front of the Set Expression so that it ignores filters, this will cause problems if you want other filters to apply, for example location, then you'd have to add something like:

sum({1<[_KEY_DATE]= {"<=$(vMinYearDate)"}> * $<location=>} [Cost Amount]) to get Opening stock.

the actual tables you're working with and sample data would help those trying to help you

Sada Siva

I am having similar issue like

Average Stock | Qlik Community

kalyandg, did you got solution for that, please update it. I am also using the same Average inventory to calculate inventory turns.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Sadasiva

Sada Siva

stalwar1, Sunny can you help me on this?

Regards,

Sadasiva

Sunny Talwar

I can try, but do you have some sample you can share to look at what you have and explain what you need?

Sada Siva

Hi Sunny,

I am using this formula to get Closing Stock value.

Sum({<[_KEY_DATE]= {"<=$(vMaxYearDate)"},Year=,Month=,Quarter=,YearMonth=,Date=>}

[Cost Amount])

and to calculate Opening stock value,

Sum({<[_KEY_DATE]= {"<$(vMinYearDate)"},Year=,Month=,Quarter=,YearMonth=,StockYearMonth=, Date=>} [Cost Amount])

as of now am using (Opening Stock+Closing Stock)/2 formula to get average inventory.

If i wanna calculate this monthly how can i achieve this.

This was the formula shared by client.

rangesum( above( Sum({<[_KEY_DATE]= {"<=$(vMaxYearDate)"},Year=,Month=,Quarter=,YearMonth=,Date=>}

[Cost Amount]),0,rowno()))

This formula will gives me the all closing stocks by month when i am using Stockmonthyear as dimension.

Regards,

Sadasiva