19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2012 11:37 AM by Roberto Postma RSS

Excluding names from a Listbox

Hi All,

I'm struggling to exclude certain names from a Listbox I have created - Field is CVsSent.CONSULTANT. As it stands, the listbox is displaying every person's name in the company but i'd like to remove / hide a few of them if possible so they no longer feature in the box.

For example:

John

Paul

James

Sarah

Julia

Jon

Simon

Andrew

How would I go about removing Jon, Simon and Andrew so they are no longer displayed in the Listbox? I'm guessing by adding an expression in the ListBox properties but each time I do, it doesn't work. I think it's something basic but I'm very new to this.

Thanks so much,

Lindsay

• Re: Excluding names from a Listbox
          Christophe Brault

Hi,

I'm using this expression in listbox to do the same thing :

=AGGR(ONLY({<NodeName-={'AAAA','BBBBB','CCCC','.....',}>} NodeName),NodeName)

Replace Nodename with your field and write name in the set analysis

thanks for coming back to me. I've tried this but all names are still displayed and each name in the box now has a Null Symbol next to it. i.e. -

Expression now looks like this:

=AGGR(ONLY({<CVsSent.CONSULTANT-={'Jon','Simon','Andrew',}>} CVsSent.CONSULTANT),CVsSent.CONSULTANT)

Result is:

John      -

Paul      -

James    -

Sarah    -

Julia      -

Jon       -

Simon   -

Andrew  -

Roberto Postma

Hi,

Make sure you _don't_ add this expression on the expression tab.

Add the expression in the following way: on the tab "general" of your listbox you see the dropdown where you choose which field should be active in the listbox. There use the lowest option, named "<Expression>". When selected, a dialogue popsup where one of our expressions should be placed to get it working :-)

Hope it helps!

You're absolutely right!! I was going to List Box Properties and going straight to the Expressions tab, then 'Add'. I've been pulling my hair out on this one for the whole morning lol so thank you.

Could you explain what the difference is between doing it the way you suggested and the way i tried. i.e. why does it work your way and not through the expressions tab?

Thanks again.

Christophe Brault

Because expression tab add an expression using your listbox as a dimension.

It's like a straight table.

Using an expression instead of a field for your listbox will change the dimension.

Roberto Postma

I can imagine you immediately went to the expressions tab.

I think it works as follows:

- the place I suggested is the (only) place to define which attribute (or expression) is the attribute for your listbox

- the place on the expression tab is a way to add extra information.

An example is that in the expression-tab you add count(FIELDNAME) which is the same as the checkbox "show frequency" that you have on the "general tab"...

I can imagine that sometimes you have a more complex expression than a count... so in that case you can do what you want on the "expressions tab"

PS: I'm curious what your hairdo looks like currently :-P

It's now growing back :-)

In terms of applying the same expression to a chart, would I be right in saying that I don't go to the Expressions tab and add this as a new expression...?

currently i've just got Count (CVsSent.CONSULTANT)

Roberto Postma

So in your chart you count cvssent.consultant

But What is your dimension?

I hope you didn't miss the bit that said i was new to this ;-)

Used Dimensions is currently CVsSent.CONSULTANT

I'm assuming that's where you mean?

Roberto Postma

Hi huncie247,

Yes, that's basically what I mean. But that would mean that your chart shows a count of CVsSent.Consultant per CVsSent.Consultant. Does that make sense?

In that case, your dimension can be a calculated dimension (just click edit on the dimension tab and paste there the same code as you put in  your listbox). Your expression can stay "as is"

Hi Roberto, been out of the office for the last few days and just come back to this.

Yep, that's great and has worked. For some reason though, my chart shows 8 names in a bar chart format which is fine and expected, but there is now a 9th bar at the end which appears to be a view of the total count of all 8 names. No name appears under it, just a - symbol.

Similarly, if i hover the mouse over each bar, it displays the "if" expression and then the total number. i.e.

if(

CVsSent.CONSULTANT <>'Jon' and

CVsSent.CONSULTANT <>'Simon' and

CVsSent.CONSULTANT <>'Andrew' ,

CVsSent.CONSULTANT)

=154

Thx,

L

Roberto Postma

Hi,

You're executing a Count (CVsSent.CONSULTANT) against the calculated dimension that you state above...

That means that this count will be executed for all consultants except Jon,Simon,Andrew.

I guess that the 9th bar is the count for these 3 guys.

You can do 2 things...

1: add an "others" group

You could change the expression so that those 3 names are included in the "others" group. Then use this as your calculated dimension:

if(

CVsSent.CONSULTANT

//here the else statement...

'Others'

)

2: Hide that 9th bar

The 9th bar IMO exists because apparently Jon,Siman and/or Andrew also have cvsSent (so a count for them results in I guess 154). But the dimension is NULL (because of your calculated dimension

On the dimensions tab you could check the checkbox "suppress when value is null"

>>PS: I would double check if the right things are suppressed (should be the cvsSentconsultant for the 3 excluded persons...

Roberto Postma

Add the following expression in your listbox (assuming your fieldname is indeed CVsSent.CONSULTANT)

if( 

CVsSent.CONSULTANT)

Note by the way that users may probably add their own listboxes (when viewing this application on the Accesspoint). Perhaps a thing to keep in mind while adding security (if needed)