Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Handling Null Values in Set Analysis

I have Sales in a table where a null value represents no sales and a zero value represents sales = returns (i.e., I want to load the null values). I tried the set analysis as below

Sum ({$< Sales_Value = {">$(#vMinSales)"}>} Sales_Value)

However, the set analysis ignornes the null values (i.e., the dimensions associated with the null values are not included in table). I tried

sum ({$<if(isnull(Sales_Value),0,Sales_Value) = {">$(#vMinSales)"}>}Sales_Value)

but that has some type of syntax error (even though the expression builder says it's OK) that returns no results.

What syntax/function should I be using to include the null values. BTW, deselecting "Suppress Missing Values" does not fixt the problem.

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can try sum({$<Sales_Value -= {'*'}>}Sales_Value). If this doesn't work try sum({$-<Sales_Value={'*'}>}Sales_Value)

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
MayilVahanan

Hi

Try like this

=Sum({<Sales_Value-={"*"}>}Sales_Value)

Hope it helps

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The first expression returns no results, and the second returns ONLY null results. What I'm trying to do in this expression Sum ({$< Sales_Value = {">$(#vMinSales)"}>} Sales_Value), however, is sum the sales when they are above the miminum variable where null sales would be treated as zero sales. Therefore, sales above negative $5,000 would include the null sales. Sales above positive $5,000 would not include the null sales. I expected

Sum ({$<if(isnull(Sales_Value),0,Sales_Value) = {">$(#vMinSales)"}>} Sales_Value) to give the right results, but QlikView does not appear to like using function outputs in the Set Modifier.

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

If all values are coming from one table in your data model, all you can do is create a flag in script which will help you to identify the Sales Return and Sales.

Something like this.

If(isnull(Sales),0,Sales) As Sales_Amount,

if(Isnull(Sales),'Sales',

if(Sales = 0, 'Return','Sales')) as Sales_Return_Flag.

Now all you have to do is use this flags in set analysis.

Hope this is clear.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki    

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!