14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2013 4:26 AM by Richard Benoit RSS

QVS.exe used a lot of memory

Hi QlikView,

We have a customer who reported that the qilkview occupied a
      lot of memory. For example, qvs.exe occupies 597M and qvdistributionService.exe
      occupies 421M. May I please know whether this is normal? Why it is occupying so
      much memory?

From another discussion:http://community.qlik.com/message/339976#339976, it is said QlikView is an in-memory analysis technology

• Re: QVS.exe used a lot of memory
          Bill Markham

Susan

Yup, it is correct and healthy for QlikView Server to use nearly all of it sever's RAM.

But your figure of qvs.exe occupies 597M seems rather small though, how much RAM does the serve have ?

Best Regards,     Bill

Hi Bill,

The total Physical Memory is 16371MB on their server. But this server is also the appserver for another Application (Apprise). Thus I don’t think it is safe for QlikView to use all of the server’s RAM, right?

Is there any threshold of occupied RAM size for qlikview? Per the discussion from other guys, it seems if the RAM used by Qlikview is too much, it will induce the other application down.

Also from another article- http://community.qlik.com/thread/70807, it seems there is a known issue for Windows update. Is it related to my question? The version that my customer is using: version 11.20.11718.0 SR1 64-bit

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Bill,

The total Physical Memory is 16371MB on their server. But this
                server is also the appserver for another Application (Apprise). Thus I don’t
                think it is safe for QlikView to use all of the server’s RAM, right?

Is there any threshold of occupied RAM size for qlikview? Per
                the discussion from other guys, it seems if the RAM used by Qlikview is too
                much, it will induce the other application down.

Also from another article- http://community.qlik.com/thread/70807,
                it seems there is a known issue for Windows update. Is it related to my
                question? The version that my customer is using: version 11.20.11718.0 SR1
                64-bit

Thanks,

Susan

Richard Benoit

This help file accessed via the QMC helps you understand how Qlikview uses RAM:

http://localhost:4780/QMCHelp/Content/QMC_Status_QVSStatistics_Performance.htm?SearchType=Stem&Highlight=physical

Here is a copy of the essence:

VMCommitted = Size in MB of virtual memory actually used by QlikView Server at the end of the interval. This number is part of VMAllocated(MB) and should not exceed the size of the physical memory in order to avoid unacceptable response times.

VMAllocated =  Size in MB of virtual memory allocated by QlikView Server at the end of the interval (VMAllocated(MB)+ VMFree(MB) = total maximum virtual memory space available to the QlikView Server process).

VMFree = Size in MB of unallocated virtual memory available to QlikView Server (VMAllocated(MB)+ VMFree(MB) = total maximum virtual memory space available to the QlikView Server process).

VMLargestFreeBlock = Size in MB of the largest contiguous block of unallocated virtual memory available to QlikView Server. This number is part of VMFree."

"