Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

All you need to know about licensing QlikView

In this webinar we will discuss:

• Local licensing (QVLC license)
• License lease
• Single and Multi-node cluster In QV Server/Publisher
• License types
• Configuration and settings

For best viewing, we recommend you set the highest video resolution.

Q&A - All you need to know about licensing QlikView

Q: ­I do not see a timelimit value on my LEF.­

A: The TimeLimit feature will only appear in the LEF if the license is an evaluation or the Orders team made a temporary change to the license in question and wanted to be sure the change was reversed at the appropriate time.  Time Limit is not something you should normally see in the LEF, it should be the exception, not the norm, but in the case of your partner license keys, you more than likely do have a Time Limit feature in those for the duration of your current year agreement etc.

Q: ­Is there any "cloud" dynamic licenses (user CALs) available or planned besides standard Named/Document/Usage/Session? ­

A: Not exactly certain of what you mean by “cloud” dynamic licenses unfortunately.  QlikView will run in Amazon and other cloud-based environments, and the current CAL sets will work just fine in those environments, but it is important to be sure you have read through the License PDF I showed in the presentation to be sure you have the correct license in place for the use case you are implementing.  Here is the direct link to the QV11.2 Licensing SR12.pdf file: https://da3hntz84uekx.cloudfront.net/qlikview/11.20/12904/QV11_2_Licensing_SR12.pdf

My apologies if this does not address the question, I just am not exactly sure of the scenario/use case here.

Q: ­I'm able to monitor the Usage Cal usage by monitoring the QV performance LOG, is there anyway I can monitor the session CAL Usage? ­

A: The QlikView Server Session log is the best place to get your session information, but keep in mind that new/active sessions will not show there until the users have ended the session, or in the case of Ajax clients, when the user clicks the Close link in the browser while in the application or the Max Inactive Session Timeout occurs after the user has otherwise closed the browser without clicking the Close link in the application.  The IE Plugin client should close the link automatically given the direct client/server connection there and then the session entry will be written to the Session log.

I do have a fairly simple Session log application I use to review Session logs for incidents submitted by customers/partners, if anyone would like a copy, it was developed by one of the consultants, just send an email to Support@qlik.com and mention that you saw this related to the TST presentation on licensing and wanted to get a copy, and we will be sure we get that sent out to you.  It is nothing fancy though, you can likely create something as well that will do exactly what you want/need.

You can also check out the System Monitor and Governance Dashboard applications as well to see if they may provide the information you need.

Q: ­hello, is there a way to increase the license lease from 30 days to more days? illimited?­

A: The license lease setting is there to protect Qlik, so the only way that can really be changed is if you reach an agreement with your partner manager to allow it etc., but this is not likely something that is going to be done without a very strong business case behind it.  The reason for the 30 days is it gives remote users a decent window of usage without having to reconnect to the QlikView Server, but yet protects us from people trying to manipulate the licensing such that they assign a User CAL, do the license lease, remove the CAL from the user and reassign to another user and repeat the process etc.  Please note that these types of scenarios are violations of the license agreement, and I would refer you back to the Licensing document mentioned in the post above, so you can be sure you are within the license agreement parameters when dealing with your customers.  Any questions should be directed to your partner managers on this, so they can review and determine if there is a use case for changing the value.

Q: ­What multiple license keys?, eg. for each user, I though there was a cal type for that?   ­

A: I apologize again, I am not exactly sure of the context of this question, as I cannot recall when I mentioned multiple license keys.  So I will try to make an educated guess here and hope that I get it correct.  For users/developers, there are two main ways of licensing their clients as we discussed, one being the QlikView Local Client license (QVLC), and the other the license lease, which does use the user’s Named CAL.  The reason for using one over the other would be related to the user not being able to connect to the QlikView Server easily to obtain/renew the license lease and/or as I discussed regarding the need to run QV.exe /r batch processes to accommodate triggers etc. that are unsupported in Publisher, as when run in batch mode, QlikView desktop will not update the license lease information automatically, so after the 30 days, things will begin to fail etc.  In those situations you will want to get a QVLC license for that client/user.  Hopefully this helps, and again, my apologies if I missed the questions intent.

Q: ­To confirm, I can be a named license lease user on a local and the QV server?­

A: I believe you are asking if you can have two license leases, and the answer is yes, you are allowed to lease a license from up to two different machines per Named CAL assigned, so if you have a Named CAL assigned in the environment, you would be able to lease from the client on your local machine as well as from a client on one of the servers if you needed one there as well to check anything.  The problem lies in needing more than the two, in those cases it is generally better to negotiate a QVLC license with the deal that is allowed to be used across the servers etc. for the specific purpose identified.  Also note that even after you have two leases, you can ‘swap’ either of the leases out for a different machine after a 24 hour period has passed since the last lease update timestamp as shown in QMC\System\Licenses\QlikView Server\Client Access Licenses (CALs) tab\History menu.  This will allow you to check the Time column value for your leases to see when the 24 hour period will pass, such that you can then lease from the other machine.

Q: ­What licenses would you suggest when a customer would like to have one central qlikview server installation, but different customer groups with their own data-bases, and a high amount of end users (at the same time) who would like to access through the web­

A: So I tried to answer this on the call, and in hindsight, I am not sure I did a very good job now that I rethink things here, and I apologize for that.  Let me first say it is probably a good idea for situations like this to contact your partner manager and discuss the use case with them or one of the technical folks to which they should have access, so they can fully review the use case and help you determine what is going to work best.

So that being said, I am going to make an assumption here that you have a single QlikView Server installation, but that you wish to manage multiple customers on the same server.  That being the case, you have a few options really, and they are going to depend upon the use case really, and again, I would point back to the Licensing doc mentioned in one of the posts above, as it should help guide you as well.  You could really use any CAL type here, it really depends upon the use case and how you want to do things.  I have seen situations where partners simply do Named or Document CALs and more or less charge each customer for each CAL they get assigned to recover that cost etc., but you could also use Session and/or Usage CALs as well, the trick here is really figuring out the use case and how long the sessions are going to be and how many applications etc., as those will all come into play in making your decision.  It would be best to definitely discuss these cases with your partner manager and the proper technical resources to be sure you get the correct solution in place.

Also keep in mind in these situations, you may not have a CAL choice depending upon the license type you need to use as well.  As I mentioned during the presentation, Enterprise and Small Business Editions do have a restriction on no external users, where external is defined as a non-company person, but I really do not know for certain how this plays out in the partner channel, so again, would highly recommend you discuss with your partner managers prior to doing any implementations like this to be sure you get the correct solution all the way around.

0 Replies