Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense Desktop on AWS Workspace

Hi

I'm trying to use Qlik Sense desktop free version on a AWS Workspace, but I keep getting told I cannot install the free desktop version as the installation package thinks I'm on a server and won't let me install.  I think it's because Amazon are using MS-Server to create individual Windows 7 desktop instances.  I only have 1 Windows 7 desktop Workspace.  Actually, the reason I'm using it is that I'm on a Mac and don't have access to a 64bit Windows version to run Sense Desktop - so am creating a virtual desktop instead.

Any help appreciated

Pete

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jay_Brown
Support
Support

Hi @tduarte , This is a six year old topic and could probably benefit from an updated ask, but it's great to show that you are searching!

Note this is for testing purposes only as Desktop installations on Server are not something that is supported in general; However, I think this article is what you want: https://support.qlik.com/articles/000007430

Basically zip up the Desktop installation on a working client machine, then move the .zip file to the 'server' and run the .exe directly.  You'll probably want to create a shortcut to it on the Desktop for ease of use.   Let us know if this works for you! 

Thanks,

--J

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to mark a correct resolution or answer to your problem or question as correct.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tduarte
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi,

Came across this old topic because we have a few users using Amazon Workspaces with the exact same problem/limitation. Now in 2022, is this a far more common practice to have virtualized workstations so wondering whether Qlik has any updates on this matter.
Article from 2018 https://support.qlik.com/articles/000058325

Jay_Brown
Support
Support

Hi @tduarte , This is a six year old topic and could probably benefit from an updated ask, but it's great to show that you are searching!

Note this is for testing purposes only as Desktop installations on Server are not something that is supported in general; However, I think this article is what you want: https://support.qlik.com/articles/000007430

Basically zip up the Desktop installation on a working client machine, then move the .zip file to the 'server' and run the .exe directly.  You'll probably want to create a shortcut to it on the Desktop for ease of use.   Let us know if this works for you! 

Thanks,

--J

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to mark a correct resolution or answer to your problem or question as correct.
pjtaylor
Contributor II
Contributor II

FYI this also works on Azure Virtual Desktop

tduarte
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi @Jay_Brown , I had to edit some file paths to perfect it but it works!

Thanks!