Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Binary load vs QVD load

Hi All

I just learn about binary load . am i right to said :-

1. Binary load will make the QV file size smaller. compare to load thru QVD.

2. it is more diffcuilt to write the script using binary loading , compare to QVD load .

3. Binary load can protect your source , thus prevent other accidently modify your code.

Pls let me know my above assumption it is correct ?

Paul

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Paul,

In Binary Load, a Qlikview file is loaded into another qlikview file, in a file only one QVW file can be loaded into another Qlikview file.

But you can load any number of QVDs in one qlikview file.

I think there is no difference in size by using either QVD or Binary load.

Scripting using QVD and Binary load are same, no difference between this two.

Binary load is more secure, since your business logic is not in the presentation file (Dashboard), nobody can edit your code if you do binary load.

Generally in development 3 layers are used.

1) Data Load  Qlikview file - Data load from Database to QVDs

2) Transform Qlikview file - Data load from QVDs and create datamodel based on the business requirements

3) Presentation Qlikview file - Binary load of Transform file in above step is used.

This is the procedure followed by many companies.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

according to my knowledge

Binary load is loading data from another QV file.  For example, you have application A.qvw.  You can create another application B.qvw with script

binary A.qvw.

When you reload it, your B.qvw has the same data as A,qvw. 

QVD

Reading from QVD is 10-100 times faster than reading from Data sources.

Consolidating data from multiple data sources and databases.Create multi layer QVDs to create a robust data model.

Incremental load can be implemented only by using QVDs

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

1. Not necessarily. A binary load transfers all data from an existing document into your current document. User Interface nor variables are included in the transfer though.
  2. No. You're just moving your script from your current document to the document that you do a binary load from. Someone has to load and process  the raw data.
  3. True. You could close down the first document, so that nobody can access the load script (in a Hidden script or just username/password protected) and let the second document wide open so that users can change the User Interface.

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Paul

I agree with Peter's comments above, but would add one major difference.

Loading from a QVD will only load a single table, although one could load multiple QVD's in multiple statement.

Whereas a binary load from a QVW will load all it tables in one go, as in could be many tables from the qvw.  So it can be used as a datamart that is very easy for those not experienced in scripting to use to create dashboards.

Best Regards,     Bill Markham

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

1. Binary load will make the QV file size smaller. compare to load thru QVD. Not too significant, if really happens

2. it is more diffcuilt to write the script using binary loading , compare to QVD load . Different situations, binary imports a full package of tables from another app, QVD load only one table each time

3. Binary load can protect your source , thus prevent other accidently modify your code. Yes

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Paul,

In Binary Load, a Qlikview file is loaded into another qlikview file, in a file only one QVW file can be loaded into another Qlikview file.

But you can load any number of QVDs in one qlikview file.

I think there is no difference in size by using either QVD or Binary load.

Scripting using QVD and Binary load are same, no difference between this two.

Binary load is more secure, since your business logic is not in the presentation file (Dashboard), nobody can edit your code if you do binary load.

Generally in development 3 layers are used.

1) Data Load  Qlikview file - Data load from Database to QVDs

2) Transform Qlikview file - Data load from QVDs and create datamodel based on the business requirements

3) Presentation Qlikview file - Binary load of Transform file in above step is used.

This is the procedure followed by many companies.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.