Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III

Losing Bookmarks that have previously worked

I have two users who have bookmarks that no longer load.

I suspect that this is due to the data structure changing.

Is there a way of "interrogating" the metadata using a certain tool.

I can open the metadata file in  a product such as Notepad++ and see the "title" of the bookmark, but beyond that there is a lot of hierogliphics and weird characters.

If i can open the metadata file i am assuming i should be able to see the parameters of the bookmark.

Any advice gratefully received.

On a similar subject i noticed that the metadata file is 17meg(sales.qvw.shared) and the qvw is 34 meg(sales.qvw).

Does anyone else have such a huge metadata file.

NB the sales.qvw.meta is 4 kb !!!!!!

Thanks in advance

14 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You have to be careful with any utility you decide to use. If you have changed anything that was bookmarked the only way to get them to continue to work is to undone the changes.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Luis_Cortizo
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi, Tim

Yes, of course it's very delicate to execute something on the server.

I don't think there would be any problem to copy the QVS.exe to analyze the .shared file into your local machine and execute it there for testing purposes.

Best regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Luis,

I was just testing it using one of my .Shared files, and it doesn't seem to create any log file. Do you know whether it means it cannot find issue on my shared file or it doesn't even executed successfully?

Note: I even run the cmd.exe using "Administrator privilege".

I appreciate your (and/or others) feedback.

Best regards,

Anton

Luis_Cortizo
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi, Anton

With the statements that you are executing you should be able to find a file called MYFILENAME.QVW.shared_clean.log.

If that's not what's happening after execution the more straightforward way of finding what's happening is throught support.

Would you be kind enough to get in contact with them, please?.

Hope it helps.

Best regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Luis,

It seems the QVS.exe feature only exists in 11.2 SR4 (according to my own testing - as of 5/20/2014). The issue I had when I mentioned to you a few weeks ago, was because I tried to use 11.2 SR6  & 11.2 SR5 - none of them generated the log file.

When I switched to SR4, it generates the log right away. Thank you for your advise.

Best regards,

Anton