Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valpassos
Creator III
Creator III

Application badly performing for one year only

Hi community,

I'm facing severe performance issues on my application - 'Calculation timed out' all over the place.

I have data for 4 years: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. When I individually select each year, the numbers show up quickly, EXCEPT for the year 2020. This is where all wreak havoc - all objects go 'calculation timed out'.

Do you have any hints on why this could be? Why does this happen for one year only (3 months of it, actually)? What performance tests should I be doing?

Thanks!

Lisa

Labels (2)
7 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You have not provided very much information about how your  app is built, but it sounds like there may be a field used on an association is missing (or spelled wrong) or incorrectly populated for 2020. This is breaking one or more associations and possibly forcing the Qlik engine to produce Cartesian product as it is trying to evaluate the expressions.

Check the data model in the data viewer or check the fields critical to associations in your model for differences between 2020 and other years. Remember a case change will make a different field for 2020.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks, @jonathandienst ! That was helpful. I'm goint to analyze my data model and check what could possibly be missing!

Tanalex
Creator II
Creator II

I would suggest downloading either QS Document Analyzer or QV Document Analyzer.  It can identify inefficiencies very well and provide insight into what is going on, under the hood.  I cannot recommend this tool enough.

https://qlikviewcookbook.com/tools/ @rwunderlich 

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Tanalex , sooo grateful for the hint!

My application is huge (100+mb) and seriously unoptimized - I was looking for such a tool a long time now! 🙂

Lisa

Tanalex
Creator II
Creator II

It will help you optimize that, and any, Qlik application.  Saved me many times, plus you can learn a lot by understanding the recommendations.  I hope this helps all who read this thread.  @rwunderlich has created amazing tools, for free, for the community.  Show him some love.

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Many kudos for @rwunderlich 🙂

Although I am finding some issues using the QS Document Analyzer. This error keeps occuring:

QVX_UNKNOWN_ERROR: Method "OpenApp" timed out. Stack trace written to C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Custom Data\QsAppMetadataConnector\Log\StackTrace.txt

StackTrace.txt only says:

System.TimeoutException: Method "OpenApp" timed out
at QsAppMetaShared.QsAppMetadata.GetApp(Boolean noData)
at QsAppMetaShared.QsAppMetadata.GetMasterMeasures()
at QsAppMetadataConnector.QsAppMetadataConnection.<GetMasterMeasures>d__10.MoveNext()
at QlikView.Qvx.QvxLibrary.QvxConnection.WriteTableItemsToStream(QvxDataTable table, Stream pipeStream)
at QlikView.Qvx.QvxLibrary.QvxConnection.InternalExecute(DataPipe dataPipe, QvxDataTable table, Action`1 onError, Action clearMExecuteError)

Do you know what this could be about?

I've read it in other threads, something about changing the timeout value, but I don't see where I can change that value.

Thanks,

Lisa

balabhaskarqlik

Please recheck your scripting, data model areas. Create one KPI, pass the expression related to Year 2020, check how the values are generating. There may unambiguous loop is creating for the year 2020. Please re-verify this.