Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raylang1
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Barchart Question

I would like to have a Barchart default to X number of months but then still allow the user to select dates (years, months ) that will change the chart. I have been reviewing some solutions, and what I found so far is the ability to limit a Barchart to X number of months, but then the selections do not work. 

Is what I am trying possible, or by limiting the Barchart to show X number of months, I take away the ability to have the end-user to select other dates for that chart? 

I did try this in the dimension of the chart. It limits tothe last six months but does not allow for additional date selections.

=If([AdminDate] >= AddMonths(Today(), -6), [AdminDate])

2 Replies
thi_pham
Creator III
Creator III

I suggest to use Max(Total Date) instead of Today():

If([AdminDate] >= AddMonths(Today(), -6), [AdminDate])

Then, you can always get 6 most recent month from the last day of your selection.

You can also replace - 6 on above formular by a variable, and end user can edit the variable by a variable input extension, then it's more flexible to control how many months will be showed. (it is same to define a variable in fixed number limitation of dimension).

vunguyenq89
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

You can use function GetSelectedCount(<dimension>) to see if there is any current selections on fields Year/ Month/ Date. From this result, you can use an IF condition to decide whether to show all dates or default to 6 latest months.

For example, with this expression as a calculated dimension in your bar chart:

=If(GetSelectedCount(AdminDate) > 0, [AdminDate], 
     If([AdminDate] >= AddMonths(AdminDate(), -6), [AdminDate]))
  • If there is a current selection on field AdminDate, it shows all values of AdminDate in the dimension
  • If there is no selection, it defaults to dates of 6 latest months

You can add Year, Month to the expression similarly as needed.

Hope this helps,

Vu Nguyen