Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MATC
Contributor III
Contributor III

Calculating sum of duration for values that vary (not chronological)

Hello,

I've encountered an issue where I need to calculate sum of durration (e.g. for a day) for specific ID's (user can select whatever they want) 

MATC_0-1708685053652.png

On given table I have 2 values that are occupying the same time slot and sum of their duration is calculated to be 51 sec but in fact they are occupying only 31 sec. Is there a way to correctly calculate this on the front end (as user can select multiple different distinct ID's)
Here's another example of given selected data 

MATC_1-1708685234955.png

Correct duration is 5:11:33

Labels (1)
10 Replies
rubenmarin

Maybe you can try a specific expression for total checking when dimensionality()=0, like:

If(Dimensionality()=0
  ,Sum(Aggr(Max(end)-Min(start),Date,id))
  ,end-start)

MATC
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. Between max and min values there can be also values that start and end in that time span.

berndjaegle
Creator II
Creator II

In the script to load you need this field:
Load
YourField,
interval(YourDurationField, 'hh:mm:ss') as DurationInSeconds
From YourDataSource;

Then, you can calculate the sum of durations using the Sum function:

Sum(DurationInSeconds) as TotalDuration

rubenmarin

Hi, I'm not sure of the specific conditions of the calculations you have to do, maybe you only need to exclude 'id' from the Aggr() in my previous example

MATC
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hello,

For specific items this formula seems to be working but for example below it doesn't. on the right 1 is with ID in aggr 2 is without ID in aggr ( If(Dimensionality()=0
,Sum(Aggr(Max(end)-Min(start),Date,id))

It can't be more than 24h since it is min is 6am and max is 6am next day. Also it can't be full 24h since after 6:06 am there are no values to all the way to 9am
,end-start)

MATC_0-1709292697764.png

rubenmarin

Hi, the table doesn't shows the Date field, probably the row that starts at 2024/02/12 22:00 and ends at 2024/02/13 6:00 has 2024/02/12 as DAte, also the first row, so the difference between them is 24 hours.

MATC
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hey,

Yes, but for my needs I need to calculate the real duration and as you can see the real duration is not 24h because there are no usage between 6:06:01 and 8:52:36 and i need to be able to reflect that.

For the w/ID version this works if all the starts and ends are distinct but if selection has multiple of the same it is summing it up but it shouldn't and the w/o ID version it is summing the min-max without looking for whats inbetween which is understandable as we are not aggr by ID.

Dataintellinalytics

Please try TOTAL function to ignore Dimension.

Interval(Max(Total End) - Min(Total Start ) ,'hh:mm:ss').

Also for the given example I believe the correct duration should be  05:43:24 NOT  5:11:33.

Interval.png

MATC
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

This is the same case as above.

Duration is 5:11:33. as if you look closely there is a gap between 8:06:05 which is the end for the first 2 rows and 08:37:56 which is the start of the row 3. I have calculated the total duration (which would be 05:43:24  (06:36:13-12:19:37 - not including the 31:51 break inbetween)   but i need to reflect that in me calc.