cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shi
Partner - Contributor III

Calendar Tables

I don't have a clear idea about ​​the calendar tables. How many ways are there to create a calendar table? For example, I know the master calendar fields and autocalendar ... what other ways exist? And when should it be better to use a script or use the main calendar fields? What consequences / effects could I have choosing one or the other way? Thank you very much!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shi
Author

Hi, 

Eliran thanks for your reply. I understand better the difference in use, but in general it does not make difference. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
eliran
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

I think your'e giving it too much weight.

At the end, it's just another table, and usually really small that being populated quite fast.

It just needs to have all the right data for you, useable flags (YTD, MTD, etc.), the right fields for analysis, both descriptive and numeric, and that's it.

I also like to add to the calendar another table that relies on the same data, and allowing the end user to choose a speicifc period from a single field (Current Year, Previous Year, Last X Month, Last X days, etc.)

This way the user have the ability to set dynamic filters and bookmarks, and even use it in set analysis.

BR,

Eliran.

Shi
Author

Hi, 

Eliran thanks for your reply. I understand better the difference in use, but in general it does not make difference. 

singh24447
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Shi,

The main purpose of using Calendar table is to fill up the gaps of dates if exist in date fields and make a continuous date range within a data model.

And there are many ways like linked table, Canonical calendar, Standard Gregorian and etc . these all are having different use cases.

BR,

Surendra

Shi
Author

Hi Surendra,

thanks for your reply. I have another question. What is the difference between Master Calendar Fields and Derived Date fields? In which situations I could encounter a problem choosing Derived Date field, or this approach is not reccomended? Thanks again

singh24447
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Shi,

There is no difference in Master calendar fields and date fields but you would encounter a problem when you want to show month and week wise data and you are not having sales and other measure for a particular week or month depends upon season sales. So that month or week will not be in our date field(Dimension in chart). So in this case We should use master calendar fields instead of date fields.

Hope this will answer your question.

BR,

Surendra  

Shi
Author

Yes, thanks Surendra, it's more clear.