Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdandekar
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Can we 'Reduce Data' with 'Keep Possible Values' in Qlik Sense ?

Hi All,

Do we have the 'Reduce Data' with 'Keep Possible Values' functionality in Qlik Sense, like we had in QlikView  (anything apart from the ODAG option)?

Image 047.png

or Do we have an API that will help us achieve this functionality?

We have a big application that we would like to split into multiple small apps based on custom Selected + Possible Values, any pointers would be helpful.

Ideally we would like to do this reduction on a scheduled basis (similar to the loop and reduce functionality)..

Thanks,

KD

2 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

I don't see such so far, have a look https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Reduce_Data1.ht...

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Johannes_Twisk
Contributor II
Contributor II

Yes, there is a valid option that only requires LOAD-script. PS. I posted this answer in another thread as well, but I think this could be the solution here as well...

I have tested to do this in just the load-script at the "end" of the applications load-script. It works perfectly, it even works in combination with Section Access. I will just explain the concept.

Prerequisites: Needs developer that is able to do "Advanced"? LOAD-script programming. 

Big advantages: JUST "simple" LOAD-script. NO Section Access is needed for reduction. NO use of any API.

PS. I only tested it with 1 Field. But I think it should work, even with more than one field easily if the fields are in the same table, otherwise it could become to complex.

The implementation/concept (working!):

Write a LOAD script that you put at the END (but before possible Section Access script). The script should contain the following steps:

1. Find the "Main" table that contains the field you want to reduce on.
  2. Do a Resident-load from this table with a WHERE-clause based on your Reduce-field-filter. Now the "Main" table is reduced.
  3. Find all tables that have a DIRECT relation to the "Main" table, BUT EXCLUDE the "Main" table itself (that already has been reduced). Do a Resident-load with a LEFT KEEP ("Main" table) on all of these tables. Now these tables have been reduced.
  4. Find all tables that have a DIRECT relation to the above tables (see 3), BUT always EXCLUDE all tables that already have been reduced (e.g. keep av variable that contains a list of your already excluded tables).
  5. Repeat STEP 4 until there are no more tables left to reduce...
  6. You now have an application that contains REDUCED data.

Some implementation thoughts:

1. Write a LOAD script that can be placed/injected in every app (Execute/Call it at the end of the load script (BUT before any Section Access)) in the application. 
  2. Have a configuration-file in some folder that contains your Reduce-information. You probably need the app-id, fieldname and the value(s) you want to keep in the data-model.

PS You should also be able to able to Reduce based on combination of STREAM-name AND application-id. You can find the stream name (in the load-script) by running this SQL (SQL SELECT "ID", "Name" FROM "QSR"."public"."Streams";) against the QlikRepository Database.
  3. To speed up things, run just a Binary LOAD from the "mother"-app (if possible) and after that execute your script.
  4. There are advantages/disadvantages, JUST LIKE with Section Access. It depends on your situation...
  5. To find all relations between all tables use something like the following script (OBS! Remove all records where TABLE1 = TABLE2) :
    ALL_TABLES_AND_FIELD_RELATIONS:
    Load
    AppTable AS TABLE1
    ,AppField AS THEFIELD
    Resident TABLESANDFIELDSINAPP
    ;
    INNER JOIN (ALL_TABLES_AND_FIELD_RELATIONS)
    Load
    AppTable AS TABLE1
    ,AppField AS THEFIELD
    Resident TABLESANDFIELDSINAPP
    ;

Hope this helps!

John