Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elinamcastelletta
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Change field Labels visible when filtering

Hello,

In my app, some tables have the field "Name" : Name_1, Name_2, Name_3.

When I apply a filter I need to knw how to just show the Label name "Name" instead of "Name_1".

Is it possible?

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @elinamcastelletta 

Ah. That is one of the places that you can not overwrite the field name. Even if you create and use a Master Dimension, the selection will always show the underlying field name. You can use a dynamic dimension, but this will then show the code, which will look even worse.

Renaming in the script would be better, if possible. Could you prefix or suffix, perhaps Standard: Customer and Standard: Sales, for example?

Often if you have two fields with the same name in separate tables it can be best to concatenate the tables rather than have a join key. This is good if you have lots of commonality, but much less good if there are only a few common fields and lots which are unique.

If you have seen any articles by @christophebrault , you will know he likes emoji's. He would almost certainly rename one of the fields to be Standard ✔️, and that would work just fine, just put this in the load script;

LOAD
  STD_W as [Standard ✔️],

You could use an underscore, or possibly a space after one, but the latter could almost certainly trip you up later.

Afraid there isn't a quick and simple fix for this one.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @elinamcastelletta 

I'm not sure I follow what it is that you are trying to achieve.

You can calculate field names, so say you had a selection of which name to show in a field WhichName you could have something like this in the label:

=if(GetPossibleCount(WhichName)=1, 'Name', 'Name_1')

But without knowing what you are trying to achieve I can't tell you exactly what code you need.

Screenshots and copy/paste of code would be helpful.

In the main, naming fields in the load script is the best way to get the correct labels:

LOAD
  Name_1 as Forename,
  Name_2 as [Middle Name],

etc.

Steve

elinamcastelletta
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hello,

I need to change the name STD_W in the visualization pane, see below:

elinamcastelletta_0-1600798371081.png

I want to call it Standard. But I cannot change it in the script as it would create a Synthetic Key.

Thanks

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @elinamcastelletta 

Ah. That is one of the places that you can not overwrite the field name. Even if you create and use a Master Dimension, the selection will always show the underlying field name. You can use a dynamic dimension, but this will then show the code, which will look even worse.

Renaming in the script would be better, if possible. Could you prefix or suffix, perhaps Standard: Customer and Standard: Sales, for example?

Often if you have two fields with the same name in separate tables it can be best to concatenate the tables rather than have a join key. This is good if you have lots of commonality, but much less good if there are only a few common fields and lots which are unique.

If you have seen any articles by @christophebrault , you will know he likes emoji's. He would almost certainly rename one of the fields to be Standard ✔️, and that would work just fine, just put this in the load script;

LOAD
  STD_W as [Standard ✔️],

You could use an underscore, or possibly a space after one, but the latter could almost certainly trip you up later.

Afraid there isn't a quick and simple fix for this one.

Steve