Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elinamcastelletta
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Change field Labels visible when filtering

Hello,

In my app, some tables have the field "Name" : Name_1, Name_2, Name_3.

When I apply a filter I need to knw how to just show the Label name "Name" instead of "Name_1".

Is it possible?

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @elinamcastelletta 

Ah. That is one of the places that you can not overwrite the field name. Even if you create and use a Master Dimension, the selection will always show the underlying field name. You can use a dynamic dimension, but this will then show the code, which will look even worse.

Renaming in the script would be better, if possible. Could you prefix or suffix, perhaps Standard: Customer and Standard: Sales, for example?

Often if you have two fields with the same name in separate tables it can be best to concatenate the tables rather than have a join key. This is good if you have lots of commonality, but much less good if there are only a few common fields and lots which are unique.

If you have seen any articles by @christophebrault , you will know he likes emoji's. He would almost certainly rename one of the fields to be Standard ✔️, and that would work just fine, just put this in the load script;

LOAD
  STD_W as [Standard ✔️],

You could use an underscore, or possibly a space after one, but the latter could almost certainly trip you up later.

Afraid there isn't a quick and simple fix for this one.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @elinamcastelletta 

I'm not sure I follow what it is that you are trying to achieve.

You can calculate field names, so say you had a selection of which name to show in a field WhichName you could have something like this in the label:

=if(GetPossibleCount(WhichName)=1, 'Name', 'Name_1')

But without knowing what you are trying to achieve I can't tell you exactly what code you need.

Screenshots and copy/paste of code would be helpful.

In the main, naming fields in the load script is the best way to get the correct labels:

LOAD
  Name_1 as Forename,
  Name_2 as [Middle Name],

etc.

Steve

elinamcastelletta
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hello,

I need to change the name STD_W in the visualization pane, see below:

elinamcastelletta_0-1600798371081.png

I want to call it Standard. But I cannot change it in the script as it would create a Synthetic Key.

Thanks

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @elinamcastelletta 

Ah. That is one of the places that you can not overwrite the field name. Even if you create and use a Master Dimension, the selection will always show the underlying field name. You can use a dynamic dimension, but this will then show the code, which will look even worse.

Renaming in the script would be better, if possible. Could you prefix or suffix, perhaps Standard: Customer and Standard: Sales, for example?

Often if you have two fields with the same name in separate tables it can be best to concatenate the tables rather than have a join key. This is good if you have lots of commonality, but much less good if there are only a few common fields and lots which are unique.

If you have seen any articles by @christophebrault , you will know he likes emoji's. He would almost certainly rename one of the fields to be Standard ✔️, and that would work just fine, just put this in the load script;

LOAD
  STD_W as [Standard ✔️],

You could use an underscore, or possibly a space after one, but the latter could almost certainly trip you up later.

Afraid there isn't a quick and simple fix for this one.

Steve