Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustinM
Contributor III
Contributor III

Comparing 2 different date fields against each other with IF statement to create new dimension

Hi

I'm trying to create a dimension where I can compare two different date fields to each other and return a result from an IF statement for each month in a pivot table format.

For example:

First Date field = Transaction Month [Transmonth]

Second Date field = Report Month [Reportmnth]

So I'm trying to show a pivot table with Report Month as column headings and then create a formula that compares the Transaction month to the Report month and if it is the same month then return "Current Month" , if the transaction period is the month before the Report Month return "Prior Month" and if the Transaction Period is older than 2 months return "Older".

Data would like this for example

Report Month Transaction Month Sales
Jan-24 Jan-24 20
Jan-24 Jan-24 25
Jan-24 Dec-24 30
Jan-24 Nov-24 50
Feb-24 Feb-24 10
Feb-24 Jan-24 15
Feb-24 Dec-24 20
Feb-24 Nov-24 25
Mar-24 Mar-24 20
Mar-24 Feb-24 30
Mar-24 Jan-24 40

And I'm trying to get it to look like this;

Report Month is the column headings

Jan-24 Feb-24 Mar-24
Current Month 20 10 20
Prior Month 25 15 30
Older 80 45 40

I tried the following formula and it works for to return current month, but then only returns "Older" for the rest and not the prior month for the data for the month before.

=if([Transmonth.autoCalendar.YearMonth]=[Reportmnth.autoCalendar.YearMonth],'Current Month',
if([Transmonth.autoCalendar.Date]>MonthsEnd([Reportmnth.autoCalendar.Date],-2),'Prior Month','Older'))

Any help is much appreciated

Labels (1)
3 Replies
F_B
Creator III
Creator III

Hi @JustinM ,

I'm not sure about what Transmonth.autoCalendar.YearMonth and Reportmnth.autoCalendar.YearMonth are in your data model, but you can try with something like this:

=if(Date(Date#(Transmonth, 'MMM-YY')) = Date(Date#(Reportmnth, 'MMM-YY')), 'Current Month',
if(Date(Date#(Transmonth, 'MMM-YY')) = AddMonths(Date#(Reportmnth, 'MMM-YY'), -1), 'Prior Month',
if(Date(Date#(Transmonth, 'MMM-YY')) <= AddMonths(Date#(Reportmnth, 'MMM-YY'), -2), 'Older')))

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @JustinM 

1. dont use autocalendar and use proper calendar by writitng it in script - autocalendar is just creating mess as is rather poor practice for
    1. you can use in load script Date(MonthStart(Reportmnth),'MMM-YYYY') as [Report Month]
  2. another good practice is to do necessary steps in load script so for that you can just create field during reload such as:
    1. If(MonthStart(Transmonth)=MonthStart(Reportmnth),'Current Month', If(MonthStart(Transmonth)=MonthStart(Reportmnth,-1),'Prior Month','Older')) as XYZ
  3. Then you use XYZ and[Report Month] as diemensions in your pivot table.

Lastly - using data manager is not a good practice for data modeling. It is much better to use load script editor where you have full control over what is happening with the data. If you are not familiar with it it would be good to start with learning data scripting in Qlik as that makes the whole UI build so much easier and simpler.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
JustinM
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for this. It helps a lot. Not yet quite giving me the result I'm looking for but has pointed me in right direction, so that I can fiddle with it and correct my scripts. Will post if I find my error.