Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xyz_1011
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Data Modelling Question

Hi all,
i am facing the following challange: I have a table that contains contract data. Every contract can have multiple periods, i.e.:

Contract ID Valid Form Valid To
123 2023-01-01 2023-12-31
123 2024-01-01 2024-12-31

There are several other tables in the source system's database that contain the contract conditions. All records are structured the same way, i.e.:

Conditition ID Contract ID Valid From Valid To Condition Type
ABC 123 2023-01-01 2023-07-13 120.000 Premium
ABC 123 2023-07-14 2024-12-31 500.000 Premium

The business requirement here is to be able to answer questions such as "What is my premium for a given contract and month(-year) ?" In order to answer a question like this, i figure, i need first break down my contract records into one record per month (did that; works) and then (not sure how to approach this) i need to connect the conditions to the monthly records - but how ? (especially when you can have two conditions being valid in one month) ...

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
2 Replies
JHuis
Creator III
Creator III

Hmm. I think you could this with 2 methods. You could connect the table trough interval match. Or you could create both tables with a monthly record and create a key with ContractID and Month. 

But what do you want to do with the condition? 

TauseefKhan
Creator III
Creator III

To answer questions like "What is my premium for a given contract and month-year?
By providing a structure where each month is linked to the relevant conditions, even if there are multiple conditions in a single month.

For a specific month and year, use set analysis to filter the data accordingly. For example, to find the premium for contract 123 in March 2023:

SUM({<ContractID={'123'}, Month={'Mar'}, Year={'2023'}>} Premium)

you can use a combination of Qlik's data modeling capabilities and set analysis.

// Assuming 'Contracts' is your monthly broken down contracts table
// and 'Conditions' is your conditions table

// Master Calendar
Calendar:
LOAD Date(MinDate + IterNo() - 1) as Date
AUTOGENERATE 1 WHILE MinDate + IterNo() - 1 <= MaxDate;

// IntervalMatch
IntervalMatch (Date)
LOAD DISTINCT Valid From, Valid To
RESIDENT Contracts;

// Join the conditions to the matched intervals
LEFT JOIN (Calendar)
LOAD ConditionID, ContractID, Condition, Type
RESIDENT Conditions;

// Now your Calendar table has fields for both contracts and conditions

Above script is only for sample you can create as per your request.

*** When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to. ***