Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xyz_1011
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Data Modelling Question

Hi all,
i am facing the following challange: I have a table that contains contract data. Every contract can have multiple periods, i.e.:

Contract ID Valid Form Valid To
123 2023-01-01 2023-12-31
123 2024-01-01 2024-12-31

There are several other tables in the source system's database that contain the contract conditions. All records are structured the same way, i.e.:

Conditition ID Contract ID Valid From Valid To Condition Type
ABC 123 2023-01-01 2023-07-13 120.000 Premium
ABC 123 2023-07-14 2024-12-31 500.000 Premium

The business requirement here is to be able to answer questions such as "What is my premium for a given contract and month(-year) ?" In order to answer a question like this, i figure, i need first break down my contract records into one record per month (did that; works) and then (not sure how to approach this) i need to connect the conditions to the monthly records - but how ? (especially when you can have two conditions being valid in one month) ...

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
2 Replies
JHuis
Creator III
Creator III

Hmm. I think you could this with 2 methods. You could connect the table trough interval match. Or you could create both tables with a monthly record and create a key with ContractID and Month. 

But what do you want to do with the condition? 

TauseefKhan
Creator III
Creator III

To answer questions like "What is my premium for a given contract and month-year?
By providing a structure where each month is linked to the relevant conditions, even if there are multiple conditions in a single month.

For a specific month and year, use set analysis to filter the data accordingly. For example, to find the premium for contract 123 in March 2023:

SUM({<ContractID={'123'}, Month={'Mar'}, Year={'2023'}>} Premium)

you can use a combination of Qlik's data modeling capabilities and set analysis.

// Assuming 'Contracts' is your monthly broken down contracts table
// and 'Conditions' is your conditions table

// Master Calendar
Calendar:
LOAD Date(MinDate + IterNo() - 1) as Date
AUTOGENERATE 1 WHILE MinDate + IterNo() - 1 <= MaxDate;

// IntervalMatch
IntervalMatch (Date)
LOAD DISTINCT Valid From, Valid To
RESIDENT Contracts;

// Join the conditions to the matched intervals
LEFT JOIN (Calendar)
LOAD ConditionID, ContractID, Condition, Type
RESIDENT Conditions;

// Now your Calendar table has fields for both contracts and conditions

Above script is only for sample you can create as per your request.

*** When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to. ***