Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NicolaiF
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Does the IF-statement evaluate whole expression?

Hi Qlik Community,

I am working with an app which is running slow - Thus, I am trying to optimize its performance.

I regognized that I could maybe condition some of my measures, so that if nothing is selected, the measure returns 0 by default and skipping the actual expression. However, It seems like the whole expression is evaluated regardless?

The example underneath shows the structure of my measure.

IF(GetSelectedCount(Field)=0, 0, [Expression])

I would expect that Qlik simply evaluates the condition (GetSelectedCount(Field)=0) and returns 0 and skipping the Expression.

However, when putting in a heavy expression my measure takes a long time to evaluate - even though GetSelectedCount(Field)  is equal to 0. 

Does anyone know how the IF-statement is eveluating its input?
Does anyone know a workaround to achieve what I am trying to do?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Yes, an if-loop in Qlik evaluates always all branches. It's not an error else a design-decision - which has some benefits as well as disadvantages ...

Workarounds could be like already mentioned conditions for the expression or maybe the visibility of the objects - means you need at least two of them. Further you could also use a table-chart instead of the textbox - it doesn't need mandatory any dimension and with some layout-adjustment it looks like a textbox.

Another way to reduce the calculation-times might be to include the condition within the expression in a set analysis.

But I think in your case you might also replace the if-loop with something like this:

pick(sign(GetSelectedCount(Field)) + 1, 0, [Expression])

- Marcus

View solution in original post

9 Replies
martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

it is better to use the calculation condition than in expression

Regards

NicolaiF
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

I would do that, but I am using my measures in Text And Image objects and not KPI's, so it doesn't look like Calculation Condition is available.

marcus_sommer

Yes, an if-loop in Qlik evaluates always all branches. It's not an error else a design-decision - which has some benefits as well as disadvantages ...

Workarounds could be like already mentioned conditions for the expression or maybe the visibility of the objects - means you need at least two of them. Further you could also use a table-chart instead of the textbox - it doesn't need mandatory any dimension and with some layout-adjustment it looks like a textbox.

Another way to reduce the calculation-times might be to include the condition within the expression in a set analysis.

But I think in your case you might also replace the if-loop with something like this:

- Marcus

sunny_talwar

NicolaiF
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

I think

would solve the example I stated in the question. 
However, my actual measure contains several IF-statements.. I am not sure if your solution would be able to solve that as well?

My actual measure looks like the example below:

IF(GetSelectedCount(Field1)=1, [Expression1]
IF(GetSelectedCount(Field2)=1, [Expression2]
IF(GetSelectedCount(Field3)=1, [Expression3],
[Expression4])))

Sorry for not claryfying that in the original question. 

sunny_talwar

May be try like this

Pick(
  Match(1
    , GetSelectedCount(Field1)
    , GetSelectedCount(Field2)
    , GetSelectedCount(Field3)
  ) + 1
, [Expression4]
, [Expression1]
, [Expression2]
, [Expression3])
NicolaiF
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

It looks like this actually works.
However, as with the nested IF-functions, it still looks like it evaluates alle the expressions.
Also, it doesn't seem to improve performance enough to notice.

marcus_sommer

I think you could apply the same main-logic with something like:

pick(-rangemin(
(GetSelectedCount(Field1)=1)*3,
(GetSelectedCount(Field2)=1)*2,
(GetSelectedCount(Field3)=1)*1) + 1, 'exp4', 'exp3', 'exp2', 'exp1')

In general you need only a smart logic to control the pick-return and there are even more complex logic possible.

Beside this you could like above mentioned also use a table-chart - see here the last answer in the post to get an idea what's meant: bold-for-the-particular-text-in-the-text-box.

- Marcus

marcus_sommer

Like explained in the link which Sunny has provided behaves match() identically with if() in regard of evaluating at first all branches and checking the condition afterwards. I never tested it but I believe pick() behaved differently and just returned the n parameter - if I'm right you should notice it.

- Marcus