Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malradi88
Creator II
Creator II

Excluding Null Values in Script Sum & Multiplication expression

To Whom it May Concern,

I am currently having trouble with the following table:

Weightedassessment:

Load
distinct

sum (PreScore *Weight) as weightedscorepre,

sum (PostScore *Weight) as weightedscorepost,

sum (PostScore *Weight) - sum (PreScore *Weight) as weightedgradechange,

learnerassessment

Resident [Final_Assessment]
Group by learnerassessment, cohortassessment, [Academic Year], [Grade Level];

The purpose of the table is to generate correct pre & post scores according to grading-weight. At first it seemed like all the weighted scores were correct then I noticed that for students who do not have a pre-score in the excel sheet (null when viewed as a dimension in qlik) that zeros were turning up from the calculation (PreScore*Weight). This is skewing results both for the weightedscorepre & weightedgradechange fields.

Is there anyway of making Qlik interpret a numeric value * null as null ? Ideally I would like table to produce the following results if:

PreScore   Weight   Result

-                       .5                -

instead it is resulting in the following:

PreScore   Weight   Result

-                      .5                0

I tried a few different if statements in the table involving null functions but no luck (I can't exclude all zeros either as some prescores were actually zeros...also if i use a where clause in a preceding table it seems to delete the whole row for the individual not just his/her null prescore but also the postscore). Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you for your support 🙂

Best,

Mohammed

Labels (4)
0 Replies