Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmbenedetto
Employee
Employee

FirstSortedValue using a non numeric field to sort

Hello,

I have a table with 3 fields:

Base dataBase data

For each Category, I need to retrieve the value corresponding to the lowest Sort. The chart function FirstSortedValue seems to be the answer. However, I could not make it work. It always returned Null.

I searched for an answer on the Community, but could not find. Then I asked for @rafaelattux help, and he made it work by transforming the Sort field into a number. See below both attempts:

FirstSortedValueFirstSortedValue

Original formula returning Null:

=FirstSortedValue([Value],[Sort])

Attux's formula returning the right answer:

=FirstSortedValue([Value],PurgeChar([Sort],'M'))

Can we conclude that FirstSortedValue can only be used with numeric values or dates(I found some discussions on the forum for dates) in the sort parameters?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

I believe that FirstSortedValue() requires a numeric input for the sort_order parameter, so you can input anything as long as it has a numeric representation - a number, a date, a dual() field, etc.

In the above example, you could have created Dual(Sort,KeepChar('0123456789')) and used that for both purposes (Note that this is the same as the purgechar but allows for characters other than M to be removed). If those characters are additionally necessary, you could do some creative string/math manipulation, such as:

Ord(Left(Sort,1))*100 + KeepChar('0123456789') // This would sort based on the first letter alphabetically and then based on the remaining numeric value

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Or
MVP
MVP

I believe that FirstSortedValue() requires a numeric input for the sort_order parameter, so you can input anything as long as it has a numeric representation - a number, a date, a dual() field, etc.

In the above example, you could have created Dual(Sort,KeepChar('0123456789')) and used that for both purposes (Note that this is the same as the purgechar but allows for characters other than M to be removed). If those characters are additionally necessary, you could do some creative string/math manipulation, such as:

Ord(Left(Sort,1))*100 + KeepChar('0123456789') // This would sort based on the first letter alphabetically and then based on the remaining numeric value