Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
17George
Contributor II
Contributor II

Format the number part of dual()

Hello,
I'm using dual(value, fabs(value)) as expression in QlikView to display the average value and keep the negative numbers visible but I would like, if possible,  to format the results with 1 decimal place instead of 12. 

dual.jpg
(comma as decimal separator)

Is it somehow possible?
Regards

Labels (1)
11 Replies
edwin
Master II
Master II

you should be able to set the number format in your table:

edwin_0-1660743735806.png

17George
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Any number format modification, transforms the negative numbers to their absolute value but it's important to keep the negative values visible.

edwin
Master II
Master II

formatting always respects the sign:

edwin_0-1660746675050.png

marcus_sommer

The numeric part of a dual() couldn't be formatted because it's the real value behind everything but the displayed string-value could formatted, for example like:

dual(num(value, 'format'), fabs(value))

- Marcus

17George
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Already tried dual(num(value, '#.##0,0'), fabs(value)) with no success.
It has no effect on the average result but only on the single values 

dual2.jpg

edwin
Master II
Master II

i see what you are doing.  you mad ethe value ABSOLUTE.  this means the actual sum will be positive no matter how you format it. 

converting the value to ABSOLUTE means you lose information - whether the value is actually + or -
i wouldnt use dual, and just format the measure in the table.

maybe there is another approach if you explain what you are trying to achieve.  what your output should look like.

marcus_sommer

Then maybe in this way:

dual(num(avg(value), 'format'), avg(fabs(value)))

By applying it in a pivot you may also consider to query the dimensionality() to use different expressions for the different levels.

- Marcus

17George
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Same results as above adding avg() but in that case, if i choose "Expression Total" instead of  "Average" under "Total Mode" the results look like that:
d3.jpg
6 or -6 as result would be the perfect solution

marcus_sommer

This means it's mainly not a formatting issue else the values didn't return your expected results. This is quite probably caused from the dimensionally context of your object which is different to the context in which the calculation needs to be done and which not fit to any of the available expression-modes.

In such a case you need to calculate the results with the right dimensionality which could be reached with an aggr(), for example:

avg(aggr(avg(Value), Dim1, Dim2))

whereby Dim1 + Dim2 are just placeholder for your needed dimensions. For the sake of simplicity is the dual() and formatting stuff not included in this example - and it may not easy to include.

- Marcus