Skip to main content
Announcements
Join us on Sept. 17 to hear how our new GenAI Assistant empowers data professionals: REGISTER
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nemo1
Creator II
Creator II

Help with Trellis Chart

Hello,

So I want to create a trellis chart to show the same graph many times, but in each case, should only show the information of one dimension.

I did the following but it did not work out.

1- I created a line chart with many dimensions. 

2- I converted this line chart to a master visualization

3- I added a trellis chart

4- I selected the dimension that I want. I want to portray as many line charts as dimensions I have

5 - I get 12 charts, which is the numbers of dimensions i have, each of them have a different title, according to the dimensions... but the graph shown is still the same... 

what am i doing wrong? 

thanks 

11 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Nemo1 

I've just hit the same bug. The first time I've seen it, but I don't use the trellis much.

I tried adding a simpler chart, with just sum(Value) as the measure, and that worked fine.

I then returned to the chart that didn't work and saw that this had the expression coming from a variable (which I tend to always do). I copied the code from the variable into the master item directly, and it worked.

Having the expression as a Master Item worked fine, so this gives some of the advantages of using variables, without tripping up the trellis.

Hopefully this will work for you also.

Steve

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

try using the Advanced mode and add either $(vDimSet) or  $(vDimSetFull) in the expression of your master visualization

Also note you can't use this for calculated dimensions

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2024/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Visualizations/Visua...

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
Nemo1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I am not understanding... 

So before I set my master visualization, which was a line chart, and I used a measure that I created... that did not work, as I get the same graph many times.. 

Then, instead of using a measure, I just copied the formula of my measure and I paste it, still did not work.. 

then I created a variable, and i used the same formula that I have been using, and I selected it, but I got a message that says "The chart is not displayed because it only contains undenifed values"

I am so lost 

thansk in advance, 

Nemo1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I did not realise that I was calling the variable wrong, i forgot to add the $(), but still, i do it, and i get alwazs the same graph 

Nemo1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hello, thanks for your answer.. what do you mean with calculated dimensions?

I am using the following: if(source='StoreSales', sum(Sales)/1000)

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Nemo1 

Can you please share what dimension you are using in the chart, what dimension you have on the master item and the measure on the master item - ideally with screenshots of each in situ.

The dimension on the trellis should be a field from the data model, and not something that is derived.

Please try with a very simple measure on the master item, e.g. sum(Sales).

I think the expression that you have would be better written as:

sum(if(source='StoreSales', Sales, 0))/1000)

This will add up all Sales where the source matches, rather than adding up all sales and then only showing them if the source is StoreSales, within the current dimension. There's an important difference in how it is worked out.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Nemo1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hello Steve, 

Unfortunately I cannot share screenshots 😞 

I tried with a simple measure in another dashboard and it did work. 

Then I tried with your formula and it did not work.

I think that the problem is that the dimension I am using for the trellis, although it comes from the data model, it is a "mapped" dimension. Probably that is making my life complicated now?

the dimension is my dataload editor looks like this: applymap ('Map_Store', Hous) as Store

thanks for your awesome answers and your patience

Nemo1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I am trying to find a work around this but it is not leading me to anything 

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It won't be the fact that it comes from an ApplyMap. Having Null values in the results may be an issue, or if it doesn't associate with the rest of the data model nicely.

Have you checked doing a simple table with Store as a dimension and your expression as the expression?

Have you checked the data model viewer, to ensure that is as you would expect it to be? Any tables not joined to the rest of the model could certainly cause this.

Steve