Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to apply RangeSum in a Synthetic Dimension?

What am I doing wrong?

I am using RangeSum in a Synthetic Dimension but the result isn't the same as using RangeSum in a normal Measure Expression.

The Expression I am using in the Synthetic Dimension is:

If(ValueList('Measure Expression','Dummy')='Measure Expression', RangeSum(above(total Sum([Monthly budget]),0,RowNo(total))))

I would like to have the result as with the RangeSum in the normal Measure Expression:

RangeSum(above(total Sum([Monthly budget]),0,RowNo(total)))

16 Replies
sunny_talwar

Do you have two dimensions in your chart? ValueList and FiscalMonth?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, I have two dimensions in my chart; the first dimension is the Fiscal Month and the second dimension is the ValueList.

sunny_talwar

What is the role of ValueList()? Can you replace ValueList with an Island Table dimension which is created in the script?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I am using the ValueList since it gives me the possibility to color trend lines in a line graph.

The following discussion gave me the idea to use Synthetic Dimensions for this purpose: Colored conditional line-charts in dimensions with high number of categories.

I am not familiar with Island Table dimensions so I don't know if that is an alternative.

sunny_talwar

I think it should work the same way

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Dear Sunny,

Thanks for your replies!

I think the examples from the discussion I have mentioned are working correctly since they aren't using

"RangeSum(above(total Sum([Monthly budget]),0,RowNo(total))"

in their measure calculation.

In my case it seems that the use of 'total' makes it to sum over the both dimensions: first over the Fiscal Month dimension and a second time over the ValueList dimension.

Does that make sense?

And if it does, can it changed to only sum only once?

By the way: the source data is shown to the right of the line charts on the screenshot.

sunny_talwar

You can try this without total... but the order of dimensions matter... so if this doesn't work.. then you will have to use island field with Aggr() function in your expression

RangeSum(above(Sum([Monthly budget]), 0, RowNo())

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Dear Sunny,

Thank you for the feedback.

I will have to try out the Island field with Aggr() function since the expression without total gives the monthly value, not the accumulated value.

If you have any suggestions for study material for the Island field with Aggr() function, I am very interested.

sunny_talwar

I will see if I can find any example... but if you are able to provide some mocked up data (dummy) I can show how it can be done with your data....