Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DevonB1
Contributor
Contributor

Insert symbol into string every x character?

I'm pretty new to Qlik Sense and just figuring things out. Would take this question to my mentor but he's been sidelined by a massive project, so I'm on my own for the time being.

What I'm dealing with is an app which loads numerous CSV's. Each of these has a computer MAC address field which is listed in the format AABBCCDDEEFF from the CSV source. What I'm wanting to do is to insert a "-" every 2 characters in order to make the MAC's display as AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF. More than looking nicer, this will let them interface with our backend DHCP system. 

It does't matter if this happens at the data load phase or if I'm completely missing a way to make the front end do this for me in the tables. Just so long as I end up with a table that is correctly hyphenated for the MAC field. 

Thank you ahead of time for any help with this. I greatly appreciate the assist. 

Labels (1)
  • SaaS

3 Replies
MayilVahanan

HI @DevonB1 

May be try like below

Load *, Left(MAC,2)&'-'&Mid(MAC,3,2)&'-'&Mid(MAC,5,2)&'-'&Mid(MAC,7,2)&'-'&Mid(MAC,9,2)&'-'&Right(MAC,2) as MAC1 Inline
[
MAC
AABBCCDDEEFF
];

MAC1 satisfy ur requirement

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Or
MVP
MVP

I just answered this one a few days ago... this looks like a direct copy of that question, just from a different user... 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Sense-App-Development/Insert-symbol-into-string-every-x-character...

Mapuna
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

any way to make this dynamic?