Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julioarriaga
Creator II
Creator II

Is a $(vMeasure) more efficient than a simple SUM(Measure)?

I'm developping a big app that uses several variables as expressions and I stumbled upon this doubt. Is it more efficient to use a variable instead of a simple expression like SUM, without set analysis, for instance?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There is no significant difference in runtime performance. In theory, the $(vMeasure) has a bit more overhead but I doubt it could be measured.

-Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Kalmer
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

1) If possible i would predefine the measures in a measure table in the LOAD script.
2) I would make a variable that the measure would be selectable (or on details, multiple measures on a straight table or something).
3) If all the measures are on one page and they have much data to calculate or many measures to be calculated (example Dashboard page or something) then i would use another variable within the measure variable so that the script would not load all the measures at the same time, just one of them. It will significantly reduce load time within one page where the measures are being used.

a) It can easily be done now with the NEW QS updated features.
b) Or on older versions with a variable extension
c) Small datalake of measure names which has no connections to other tables. later to use all the definitions of the measures inside the table in a straight table so that it's selectable. IF not selected you can use IF(GetSelectedCount(table name) = 0, DIMENSION1, else DIM2).

If it makes no sense i'll make an example.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There is no significant difference in runtime performance. In theory, the $(vMeasure) has a bit more overhead but I doubt it could be measured.

-Rob