Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathieu_ROY
Contributor
Contributor

Join two tables on partial match

Hi guys,
I'm currently having difficulties joining two tables (of different sizes) based on a partial match. Those two tables are from QVDs created from the DB (no modification, just a load of the data in the QVDs).
I have a table "countries" registering the different countries and their international mobile prefixes:

countries:
LOAD
          prefix,
         name
FROM [lib://Qlik_QVD/countries.qvd]
(qvd);

Then, I have a table "messages_stats" regrouping different information on mobile messages:

messages_stats:
LOAD
      id,
      msisdn,
FROM [lib://Qlik_QVD/messages_stats.qvd]
(qvd);

In this table, "msisdn" is the mobile phone number of the recipient of the message.
For example, in France, the msisdn is: 33X XX XX XX XX

In the table "countries", the prefix for the country "France" is "33".

Thus, I want to join the two tables on this partial match.

As information, in MYSQL here is the (working) request:

From messages_stats
LEFT JOIN countries ON messages_stats.msisdn LIKE CONCAT(countries.prefix , '%')

Thanks for your answers guys!

Labels (2)
5 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could do it with a mapping like:

countries:
mapping LOAD prefix, name FROM [lib://Qlik_QVD/countries.qvd] (qvd);

messages_stats:
LOAD
id,
msisdn,
applymap('countries', left(msisdn, 2), 'no country') as Country
FROM [lib://Qlik_QVD/messages_stats.qvd] (qvd);

- Marcus

Mathieu_ROY
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Marcus,

My bad, I forgot another crucial information: the prefixes are 1,2,3 and 4 numbers long .....
So in this case, if I'm not mistaken, "left(msisdn,2)" doesn't work.

I think I need to use the "wildmatch" function, but i'm not sure how.

- Mathieu

marcus_sommer

I hope there is any delimiter within your msisdn to identify the prefix otherwise the match-values aren't mandatory unique and it could give you a wrong match. Nevertheless you could try it with a nesting of the mapping like:

applymap('countries', left(msisdn, 4),
applymap('countries', left(msisdn, 3),
applymap('countries', left(msisdn, 2),'no country'))) as Country

- Marcus

Mathieu_ROY
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Marcus!

The prefixes are well thought out, in the sense that if a prefix = 33, then no prefix = 33x, so no mismatch.

Still, I applied the nesting and got as a result a field Country full of 'no country'. I checked the QVD 'countries', no problem in here, same for the field "msisdn" from messages_stats. So I don't understand where the error is coming from.
I even tried: applymap('countries', left(msisdn, 2),'no country') as Country   to see if the nesting of the mapping was the problem, still full of 'no country'.

marcus_sommer

I'm not absolutely sure if the data-type of numeric or string values has an impact by applying a mapping but with text() or num#() you could change it, maybe with:

applymap('countries', num#(left(msisdn, 2), '00'),'no country')

If this doesn't help it means that there other chars included either within the mapping-table or the fact-table. To be sure what they contain you could display them within an UI object and copy the values from there to an editor like notepad++.

Quite often it are any kind of spaces or special chars and a cleaning in Qlik could be look like:

trim(Field) or maybe keepchar(Field, '0123456789')

- Marcus