Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Click-nervig
Contributor II
Contributor II

Loading CSV

trying to load a csv file, either I get the message "field xxx not found" and data are not loaded or the fields are loaded without column names. There is no hint what to do

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Hi, hard to know without having more info, try to post the csv, ate least witha couple of fields and removing/changing information you don't want to share.

Usually doing drop and down inside sense, or selecting the file from a fodler connection it will open a dialog to define the format of the file.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi, hard to know without having more info, try to post the csv, ate least witha couple of fields and removing/changing information you don't want to share.

Usually doing drop and down inside sense, or selecting the file from a fodler connection it will open a dialog to define the format of the file.

Click-nervig
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I did some trials and found out that csv with German settings „decimal point is comma and separator semicolon doesn’t work. I transformed to xlsx and now it works. It s really shaming that qlik isn‘t able to handle this

MarcoWedel

I usually don't have to change any default options when loading semicolon separated files using my german Qlik Sense environment. Seems to work out of the box for me:

MarcoWedel_1-1644784246153.png

MarcoWedel_2-1644784318418.png

MarcoWedel_3-1644784467382.png

Can you please post some screenshots of what you see when trying to load your data?

thanks

Click-nervig
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

In my test I have two tables. An Excel file called projekte.xlsx  containig project grouping information and a file "ergeb_konto_kst.csv" with the details. I want to join them by a column called "prodcode".

I can load the Excel but it didn't work for the csv. Then I tried to replace this detail by an xlsx format. But I didn't succeed. Because I didn't found the place where to delete the csv. So I have now three files. In the DM view I can't see which one is  which one. But I see one of them doesn't have column names. But when I uploaded I explicitely told to use the embedded column names. In addition it looks like that it doesn't recoqnize the cell format. In the attachment loadingError.png you can see that number fileds without decimals are right oriented like numbers. Numbers with "," are left oriented like strings. 

Finally I stopped this trial, created a new app and loaded both files in xlsx format. There I had no issue so far. It automatically found the join column.

I am curious about the next steps

kind regards Bernhard

chris_djih
Creator III
Creator III

could be anything...
please give some more details. Are u using the script editor or the data manger.
what is your CSV looking? Seperator?

Error-Searching: start by trying with a minimum example:
1. make a new example .csv that only consists of 4 to 5 rows and only 4 to 5 columns
2. check if everything is spelled correctly, if it runs try 10 rows and 10 columns...
3. repeat until you reach the error or your script runs complete

If you found help, mark the correct answer and give some likes to ALL contributors, that tried to help.
Click-nervig
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

I am struggling on the simple task to delete a file in the datamanger. It looks like in the screenshot below. Iwant to delete the file. Pressing the paper basket it disapears. But then it appears again. I couldn't find an other place to delte this file. I want to replace it by a small example.

Then I pressed to button for adding new data. Going to "Files and other sources" then to "data files". I deleted the file there. But with the "next" button I come to the same dialog then before and still the other table is there and the new table doesn't exist. It tells me an error message as shown in the attachment. I think I'll have to give up and throw test1 app in the paperbasket too. 

Click-nervig
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Now I tried with a second test case. I loaded my data with datamanager. Then I renamed in the Excel file the tabs and tried to bring this new constellation to the app. Without success. I didn't find a way to load data in the app.  What could I do?

MarcoWedel

please post some random test data in your original format to test with.

Click-nervig
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I realy can't find any reason to use random test data. Because it's independant of the content.  As far as I couldn't find any function to repair this behavior for me  I found the following solution when working with files:

After you loaded a file successfully,  never do any changes in file name, column names or tab names  in this file because then loading will not work any more and you can't  repair it within the same app.

As far as this problem appeared together with strange behavior in number formatting I am not sure if Qlik is working properly with csv files containing semicolon as separator, comma as decimal indicator and dot as thousend marker. But I hope it will work. I'll try later, first I want to see some grafical output.

kind regards Bernhard