Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

NullAsValue replaces null values on one Field, but not the other

For example

I have a field with null values that I want to replace with a string. When referencing a field from Table A, the script works as expected and replaces all null values in 'MyWorkingField' on Table A. However, I realized "MyWorkingField" from Table A will not work. Instead I need to use "MyBrokenField" from Table B, however when replacing "MyWorkingField" with "MyBrokenField" the script does not work.

Set NullValue="Hello";

NullAsValue MyWorkingField;           // this is from Table A and works as expected

Set NullValue="Hello";

NullAsValue MyBrokenField;             // this is from Table B and does not work.

Initially I put this script at the bottom of the "Main" sheet in the Data Load Editor and it worked fine with 'MyWorkingField', this did not work for "MyBrokenField". I have tried putting the same script for "MyBrokenField" in the Auto-Generated section under the corresponding table only to get the same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have poured over the forums to find an answer and this is really frustrating.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We were able to find a work-around. Thank you for your help regardless.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Have a look at the HELP:

The NullAsValue statement operates as a switch and will operate on subsequent loading statements

If I understand correctly, you made the statement after loading the table. Put it on top of the table load.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the quick response. I will test and update the post tomorrow when I'm back on-site

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

There was no change when moving it before the table load.

Let me know if this could be causing the error:

For example, I have two tables that both have the field 'MyBrokenField' so they are loaded in as Table1.MyBrokenField and Table2.MyBrokenField automatically.

The MyWorkingField is a unique string and not used in any other tables. Could the error be caused by the fields having the same name? And if so, is there a work-around for this?

I have tried using [Table1.MyBrokenField] as well as just MyBrokenField with no luck.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Could you post a small sample app?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We were able to find a work-around. Thank you for your help regardless.