Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snancyiv
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik associations multiple fields

Hi everyone,

I have 2 source files in my Qlik app and I'm currently associating them by discharge date. However they also have other similar fields which end-user should also be able to filter the data by (discharge status, service line, diagnosis code). Unfortunately, the dashboard is not functioning that way. It doesn't seem like Qlik can associate more than 1 field. What's the best way to go about this? I originally thought it can identify similar fields, but it's not doing so.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

It will happen automatically and create a synthetic key - and these are usually NOT dangerous as many people claim. Just make sure that the fields exist in both tables and are named the same.

A compound key that you create is also a good solution.

See also https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Synthetic-Keys/ba-p/1472634 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You can associate two tables using multiple fields. That shouldn't be any problem.

However, in your case it sounds as if it would be better to concatenate the two source files into one table.

snancyiv
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks @hic . How do I associate multiple fields? By creating a compound key?

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

It will happen automatically and create a synthetic key - and these are usually NOT dangerous as many people claim. Just make sure that the fields exist in both tables and are named the same.

A compound key that you create is also a good solution.

See also https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Synthetic-Keys/ba-p/1472634 

snancyiv
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you this was helpful. It worked out perfectly!