cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony1993
Contributor
Contributor

QlikSense Source Control and CI/CD

In our Qlik Sense app development life-cycle, we are thinking that there must be a way to build a Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment pipeline and include some basic automated testing within the promotion workflow.

1) Determine how to integrate Qlik with a Source Control (like BitBucket) to ensure apps are source controlled

2) Determine if it would be possible to have more than one developer working on one app at the same time. Would Bit Bucket be able to determine and solve merge conflicts?

3) Research and POC an eventual CI\CD pipeline for Qlik to be able to automatically promote apps across environments, potentially by making use of Qlik APIs

Can you please refer to current best practices and assets we can leverage in building a continuous deployment pipeline for Qlik Sense?

Labels (1)
  • SaaS

7 Replies
juliacowbe
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm looking for the same, it posible to use Microsoft Dev Ops for versioning?

NickRondeel
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Tony, 

Did you find any more information regarding your questions? 
Myself, currently looking at some information regarding integrating QS into the microsoft dev-ops suite. 

Did find some usefull information from Goran via his https://senseops.rocks/ website. 

MichaelAtMotio
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hey Tony! We make a version control and deployment tool for Qlik Sense that might be of interest to you. You can find out more here ---> https://motio.com/product/soterre/

Let me know if you have any questions.

jp_golay
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Tony, WIP can be used for CI/CD using our Rest API for deployment. Ask for demo at support@ebiexperts.com

ebiexperts CTO
With WIP, Control everything!
Qlik Sense, QlikView and NPrinting Source control, Versioning and Deployment, Agile Lifecycle Management
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

We have been using a product called Platform Manager http://platformmanager.com successfully for several years mainly for version control, but I, like you, am now interested in leveraging the product to build a true CI/CD pipeline. I investigated many other options re version control and PM is much simpler than trying to check qlik applications into various other systems manually.

chris_djih
Creator III
Creator III

Hi @daveatkins ,
this is a long desired feature and the qlik gods may here us some day. But for the moment my most apreciated workaround ist:
1. relocate all the script into .qvs files so each app only consists of one line :

$(Must_Include=lib://theAppPath/appscript.qvs);

2. structuring all scripts in a well organzied directory e.g. Environment/Streamname/Appname/
3. using git since the .qvs files are simple texte format and can easily be merged and integrated in other CI steps.

the ugly part ist, that changes in the apps itself can not be versioned as easily as the script. So here you have to just override or do some shady workarounds with daily/monthly subfolders or somehting like that.

If you found help, mark the correct answer and give some likes to ALL contributors, that tried to help.
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

thanks; the Platform Manager software handles the ugly part you describe; now I just need to figure out if we can orchestrate that part. For example I know I can create a "release" in PM which associates multiple applications and allows promoting them all at once to staging and then production environments. The other nightmare aspect is that typically, qlik applications depend on other development work such as ETL and stored procedures, so I do not know if we can get everything into one nice package for deployments. And 90% of daily work is responding to unplanned issues so very challenging to get to devops approach.