Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Redundant: Dual() function in Qlik Sense?

Why is the Dual() function available in Qlik Sense?

I cannot use it to to show text labels and sum numeric values for the same field as designed (and works in QlikView). Can anyone from Qlik tell me if this be fixed, removed or if I missed a use case that is still available in sense?

Qlik Sense Application attached. I have also built a simple slope graph in Qlikview using pretty much the same data and expression to show a use case, attached.

I know I can represent the data differently. That said I took this example from a Stephen Few article which is my default for best practice in data visualization PerceptualEdge - Data Vis. I Also know there will likely be an extension on the Qlik Branch that will replicate this example.

This isn't the first function I've found that doesn't work and i'm wondering why, If there is already a function available surely it would work or be removed. I feel like I have missed something obvious, can anyone help explain?

Thanks in advance

Philip Hand

@QlikViewer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

That has nothing to do with the dual function which works just fine. It's a limitation of the chart. It just renders the numeric value, period. Hopefully future releases of Qlik Sense will give us more options. And if not, such features can be implemented in extensions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

That has nothing to do with the dual function which works just fine. It's a limitation of the chart. It just renders the numeric value, period. Hopefully future releases of Qlik Sense will give us more options. And if not, such features can be implemented in extensions.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert,

If the dual function works fine but not in line charts, what visualizations does it work in?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

It works fine in charts, but just not in the one particular case where you want control of the labels on data points.

Not applicable
Author

Ok i can picture it working in the script for things like sorting data in the front end, i'm struggling to come up with a use in front end expressions anymore though.

It doesn't matter anyway you answered my question perfectly, many thanks Gysbert, the stickers next to your name are well deserved!

tobias_klett
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Guys,
I just saw this and tried it anyways. It is now available. 
1. Create a Master Item Measure using the Dual() Function
2. Add Measure  to Chart
3. Choose "Measure expression" as Number formatting