Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demyan1
Contributor
Contributor

SECTION ACCESS dynamic row reduction with *two* permissioned-entity types, and circular references

I have an app displaying two entity types: "audits" and "actions".  Both entities have dates on them and can be grouped into quarters, for example. A user is allowed  to see a subset of all audits, and a subset of all actions. (Subsets vary across users. Some users are allowed to see everything).

I implement this using SECTION ACCESS. An "Identity Role" table maps users to USER or ADMIN, while "Identity Audit" and "Identity Action" tables capture users' entitlements. Finally, there are the data tables "Audit" and "Action".

So far so good. However,  I then discover that I cannot  have a filter on "Quarter" - both "Audit" and "Action" have "Quarter" field, which alone is left unqualified in the load script - as this creates a circular reference. In fact, I cannot connect "Audit" and "Action" on any field: any connection will close the loop. I can, of course, qualify "Quarter", and have two disconnected "Quarter" filters - operating on, effectively, two different fields - but that does not look good to my users.

It sounds like I just can't have SECTION ACCESS permissions for both audits and actions AND a common field between "audit" and "action" islands. The only workaround I can think of is "compress two tables into one": 

a. have a data table created with

select AuditID as EntityID,  *

from Audit

union all

select ActionID as EntityID, *

from Action

b. have  a permissions table created with 

select AuditID as EntityID,  *

from IdentityAudit

union all

select ActionID as EntityID, *

from identityAction

Is there a better way?

Labels (2)
3 Replies
marksouzacosta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi,

We just released a new video in our YouTube channel related to your question.
I hope it helps!

IPC Tips - Removing Circular References
https://youtu.be/s-QA8fbQDC4

Regards,

Mark Costa

Read more at Data Voyagers - datavoyagers.net
demyan1
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Future readers of this thread - don't waste your time, the video doesn't help, and it's not good.

marksouzacosta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I'm sorry to hear that the video did not help you to better understand and solve your problem.

Read more at Data Voyagers - datavoyagers.net