Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Show/Hide in Qlik Sense

Hi All,

Is it possible to have show/hide conditions in Qlik Sense ?

20 Replies
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Hi James,

Currently there is no show/hide conditions for objects in Qlik Sense.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the quick reply Alexander,

do you know of any plans to include this functionality ? or any of the more advanced Qlikview techniques ?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi James,

Thinking out loud, as you can create extensions, you could eventually create a script that is hidden or showed depending, for example, on an expression (as you can do in QlikView 11).

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your reply, interesting thought, will definitely investigate this further,

James

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Any specific use-case you want to use show and hide for?
Keep in mind that Qlik Sense is a different product then QlikView and aims to fulfill a different use-case then QlikView.

Typically show/hide conditions on objects were used to guide the user through the data/app.

For a more guided experience you still have QlikView or you could leverage the Qlik Sense APIs to build that experience.

Also in my personal opinion show/hide does not really makes sense without being able to position objects on different layers and that is hard to do without impeding on the responsive grid that allows Sense to scale from your mobile device to browser which will become more obvious once the Server edition becomes available (even though the desktop client also is responsive, try re-sizing the window)

EDIT: HIC also has published a great blog post that highlights some of the differences between the two different products which sort of relates to show/hide conditions http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/07/29/view-or-sense

Not applicable
Author

I was thinking of a simple show hide on a table column dependent on the selection in a list box/ filter pane,

eg: selecting country in the list box would show the city column in a table.

I agree with you that there are very different use cases for Qlikview and Qliksense, and think that I need to give more thought to the specific customer requirements and what product suits their needs, than trying to force through my Qlikview mentality into what is essentially a different product.

Thanks for your help

James

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

James,

You could achieve a similar effect by creating a drill down dimension (Country->City).  If you then added that dimension to the table/chart etc. you wouldn't need the listbox.  Users could just select directly on the country in the table/chart and drill down the city.

-Josh

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Josh,

I have a drill down Country - City, and what you have suggested works,

I think I just need to get used to this NOT being Qlikview and looking the way I want it to,

will work on it !! Liking the product though.

James

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This thread highlights something that was very evident during last year's Business Discovery World Tour.  On one hand we were shown a demo of .Next, then immediately after an illustration of design best practice which relied heavily on text boxes and dynamic display of objects.  It was quite clear that it would not be possible to build the "best practice" UI in .Next.  It seemed that there could be a divide in what was next for "the product".

Now that Sense is here and some clarity is emerging about how it sits alongside QlikView (i.e. offering self service discovery rather than guided analytics) it makes more sense (no pun intended).

I can see that there will still be the need for many people to be built applications that lead them to discovery in QlikView.  Other individuals will now be able to explore in a way that was not possible before.

- Steve