cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wanderingcatto
Contributor II
Contributor II

Show empty word cloud until filter is selected

How do I make my word cloud chart appear as empty, until a filter is applied?

I'd noted that for a typical bar charts, this can be done with the calculation condition GetSelectedCount() under the data handling of Add-Ons section. However, I don't see any Add-Ons for my word cloud chart.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

You could modify either the measure or the dimensions to not work unless a certain condition has been met. You won't be able to easily show a message explaining this to the user, but you could actually do that with the word cloud itself, with a calculated dimension such as:

If(GetSelectedCount(SomeField)>0,Field1,'Please select value in SomeField')

and a similar measure (so the dimension is associated with a numeric value for sizing).

Another alternative would be to place this object in a container and use a show/hide condition.

View solution in original post

Or
MVP
MVP

You'd use the same dimension I suggested, and a matching measure, such as:

f(GetSelectedCount(SomeField)>0,Sum(WhateverOtherField),5)

Where 5 is an arbitrary number you chose to set the size of the message.

Dim: =if(GetSelectedCount(ID)>0,ID,'Please make a selection')

Measure: =if(GetSelectedCount(ID)>0,Sum(ID),5)

Or_0-1658827337156.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

You could modify either the measure or the dimensions to not work unless a certain condition has been met. You won't be able to easily show a message explaining this to the user, but you could actually do that with the word cloud itself, with a calculated dimension such as:

If(GetSelectedCount(SomeField)>0,Field1,'Please select value in SomeField')

and a similar measure (so the dimension is associated with a numeric value for sizing).

Another alternative would be to place this object in a container and use a show/hide condition.

wanderingcatto
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you! It didn't occur upon me that the GetSelectedCount() could work as a calculated dimension too.

Just one more small problem though - while I can get the word cloud to show the words only if a filter is applied, i could not get it to display the message 'Please select value in SomeField' when no filter is applied. How else may I achieve this?

Or
MVP
MVP

You'd use the same dimension I suggested, and a matching measure, such as:

f(GetSelectedCount(SomeField)>0,Sum(WhateverOtherField),5)

Where 5 is an arbitrary number you chose to set the size of the message.

Dim: =if(GetSelectedCount(ID)>0,ID,'Please make a selection')

Measure: =if(GetSelectedCount(ID)>0,Sum(ID),5)

Or_0-1658827337156.png