Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colinh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Story not keeping selections when exported to Powerpoint

Hi

I've created a story with two embedded sheets, both are the same sheet with different selections made.  In story presentation mode in Sense they work fine - sheet 1 shows the embedded sheet with one set of selections, sheet 2 shows the embedded sheet with the second set of selections.

When exported to Powerpoint or PDF however, both sheets show the same selections.  They seem to take the selections of the second sheet.

Is there a solution to this, or is it a bug?  This is on server, June 2017 release, and on desktop June 2017.

Thanks

22 Replies
cchristenson2
Contributor III
Contributor III

Anyone still having this issue? We just tested and had issues similar to those outlined above. 

tim_ringle
Contributor III
Contributor III

Yes, It is really causing us significant problems. We upgraded to April 2019 and it isn't fixed. In fact now we are having problems exporting in Chrome as well. 

cchristenson2
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks Tim. We are going to submit a ticket to Qlik and see what happens. 

QT
Employee
Employee

So I think there are multiple scenarios mentioned in this thread, but I can provide some input based on what I found to address one of the scenarios and what I think is happening behind the scenes.

Scenario 1: You are creating multiple sheet Story, but the selections applied to each story seems to be all the same, rather than what you had selected in Analysis

Scenario 2: You have created a story and when replaying the Story, you have made some new selections.  Then you try exporting thinking that the selections during the replay would be applied

I'm sure there may be other scenarios, but this is what I've encountered in the 2019 releases.

This workaround is for Scenario 1

When you embed a sheet into a story, the selections currently in the Analysis will be applied to that sheet (as bookmarks).  Call this selection "A"

The "funny" behavior is that when you go back to Analysis view to make new selections (selection "B") for a different sheet you want to embed, the selections of the last page you viewed on Story will be applied (selection "A").  So when you go back to Story mode, and click on embed another sheet and select the  new sheet, you would think selection "B" would be applied.  Unfortunately the new embedded Sheet story will have selection "A" applied.

The workaround that I found:

Keep a blank page in Story mode, and click on that sheet before going back to Analysis mode. Make your new selections, go back to story mode and then add the new embedded sheet.  You will now have a new Sheet in the story with the new selections.  When you export the Story, each embedded sheet will have the selections when the Story sheet was created.

tim_ringle
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks QT for the reply. Neither of these scenarios apply. There is literally nothing going on in the selection criteria.

Here is the exact steps to we use to replicate the issue.

Close all browser sessions. Start completely clean. open a new browser session and go directly to the story with no navigation. Ensure no other browsers are open. Start on slide 1.  Do not move off of slide 1. Export to Powerpoint. The KPI in the upper left that shows the maximum descriptor is not refreshing with the rest of the sheet. Everything else is refreshing appropriately. It appears to refresh every other sheet.

Close all browser sessions. Start completely clean. Open a new browser session and go directly to the story with no navigation. Ensure no other browsers are open. Start on slide 1. Navigate through each slide using your browser. The KPI in the upper left hand corner refreshes as appropriate. The story presents perfectly.

We have a ticket filed with Qlik as well. Should this potentially go under a new thread since this thread is marked as closed?

tim_ringle
Contributor III
Contributor III

Update: The export issues seem to exist exporting to both Powerpoint and PDFs in Chrome and I.E. 11. The export issue does not appear in Microsoft Edge. The KPI's change with the rest of the sheet when exporting from Microsoft Edge. This is only a temporary work around though as Chrome worked from  mid Februrary 2019 to late April 2019.

Romstar111
Contributor II
Contributor II

If this is a bug, it is till there because I have not able to export stories with the selection made in the story. I tried both Chrome and IE. I wonder where we are with the ticket as I could not see it in Qlik Support Portal.

tim_ringle
Contributor III
Contributor III

I did not get a good answer on my ticket and nothing was done with it. Support didn't think it was a bug but that this was the way the system worked.  I had my VAR (value added Reseller) quoting documentation saying this should work the way we expect and did not get a response. That was May 28th. I have not had an update to the case since them. I am asking for an update today.

The problem is very specific to the KPI objects. They will repeat the value from the previous slide from time to time if you embed two live sheets with different filter selections back to back. There is not a pattern and it is not consistent. Interestingly text objects do not have this same bug. If you take a text object and build out the header and follow it with the formula from the KPI everything works properly every single time. It is the only relief I have been able to find for my users. In fact, we have created a version of the app with both KPIs and text box objects. When viewing the story in a web browser, both display the same data on every sheet. If you export the story, the Text boxes display the same data as displayed in the online web browser one very single slide and the KPIs only match the on screen version 50-60% of the time.

This behavior is exhibited in both PDF and powerpoint exports.

Jamie_Gregory
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @tim_ringle 

This issue you reported regarding the KPI's and stories will be fixed in Qlik Sense September 2019. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a correct resolution 🙂
tim_ringle
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks,

I am very much looking forward to the release. I did get a note that this was forwarded to app dev, so I (and I am sure others), am glad to hear a permanent fix is on the way.

Thanks

Tim Ringle.