cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Denzyl
Contributor II
Contributor II

Sum expression with AddMonths to a variable

I created a variable vLatestDate which is derived from the max month of the [date] column

Denzyl_0-1661777856696.png

vLatestDate:

Max([date])

The following code gives me the sum of [amount] where [date] equals to vLatestDate:

SUM({<[date]= {'$(vLatestDate)'}>} [amount])

I am now trying to create a column that is a sum expression based on the [date] column matching the vLatestDate variable minus one month.

I have tried the following code but it does not work:

SUM({<[date]= {'$(AddMonths(vLatestDate, -1))'}>} [amount]) 

Denzyl_0-1661844344523.png

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oskartoivonen
Partner - Contributor III

The issue appears to be that you're not telling Qlik that to actually calculate the AddMonths-function, it's being interpreted literally instead of executing.

Try the following measure:

SUM({<[date]= {'$(=AddMonths($(vLatestDate), -1))'}>} [amount]) 

Note the addition of "="-character to the start of the dollar expansion, to tell Qlik to calculate the dollar expansion and not simply do a string replace. Sometimes the end result of your date adjustment might not meet the format of your target field, but in this case it should be fine. But if you wanted to for example do a MonthYear-field selection based on your vLatestDate, you'd have to add a formatting function after the AddMonths, such as MonthName-function or whichever format the target field is in.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
brunobertels
Master
Master

may be this instead 

SUM({<[date]= {'AddMonths ($(vLatestDate), -1)'}>} [amount]) 
Denzyl
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

The sum of the measure is all 0.

Denzyl_0-1661851899490.png

SunilChauhan
Champion
Champion

try this 

create a new field

num(Date) as numDate in script;

=Sum({$<numDate={'$(=num(Addmonths(Max(numDate),-1)))'}>}Sales)

See the attached file

Sunil Chauhan
oskartoivonen

The issue appears to be that you're not telling Qlik that to actually calculate the AddMonths-function, it's being interpreted literally instead of executing.

Try the following measure:

SUM({<[date]= {'$(=AddMonths($(vLatestDate), -1))'}>} [amount]) 

Note the addition of "="-character to the start of the dollar expansion, to tell Qlik to calculate the dollar expansion and not simply do a string replace. Sometimes the end result of your date adjustment might not meet the format of your target field, but in this case it should be fine. But if you wanted to for example do a MonthYear-field selection based on your vLatestDate, you'd have to add a formatting function after the AddMonths, such as MonthName-function or whichever format the target field is in.